Boveda packs affect taste or aroma? Life Span?

DET—PDX

Insanely Active Member
Hey all, was listening to a podcast on KIS and one of the guests said he found boveda packs to add a strange smell and flavor. Having never used them, I have to ask do you agree? I am hesitant to belive him, but I’d like to hear what you boveda users think. Does it negatively affect taste/flavor?

My next question is lifespan. What environment would be best to prolong the humidity pack? I am thinking 62% external environment would prolong it the most, but this is unlikely for most of us to have a controlled drying room. Do you think under 62% or over 62% would prolong the pack best?

Last edited:

Cob_nUt

"Justa Ganja Lover"
I've used them when they first hit the markert,eh, got popular for mj.
They do work as intended.
They do do something funny to the flavor and nose.In my experiences.
After tinkering and experimenting with them. I found out if your buds aren't close to the target RH of the pack,that's when they either rob terps or impart something to the taste and smell of the buds.Could it be the gas exchange happening while the bovedas are working their magic causing this? IDK.

I've seen the issues and praises of them.
Most issues stem from people trying to dry with them.Putting buds that aren't DRIED in a jar with the pack,thinking they are at the cure stage.
Or,trying to rehydrate overdried bud and blaming that nasty harsh taste on the bovedas.In my situation when I was using them,I found 63-65% bud rh to be my sweet spot for the 62's when I jar.

They are better used for long term storage...AFTER your bud is dried.They will be in the cure zone still,even after they are dried.
Go past 55% and no boveda will bring you back into the cure zone.They will stop the bud from drying out further,if you aren't opening the jar constantly.Again,IMO they are better for long term storage,to keep the buds at in that specific range.
The lifespan on them are pretty damn long.I have some that are still ready to go,and they were purchased over 2 years ago. I did have them in ziplock bags inside of a mason jar tho.No temp control room.Ambient temps.I've had maybe 2 get hard or become ineffective.

I no longer use them.I have a bunch still useful that smell like all the dank nugs they've been in contact with. Ok, well I still use one or 2 here and there when I'm down to the last jar of a strain I know I won't have for a few runs and want to keep that bud nice n fresh.
I use mason jars and hygrometers with much better results.Also my ganja doesn't stay around long enough with rosin,edibles,stoner friends and family for me to justify the trade off of the smell and taste compromise.

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
I’ve found them to be very effective for long term storage of already dried and cured Bud.

I have not noticed that they impart or destroy the taste or smell.

I’ve had some Bud over two years and although maybe a little harsher to smoke, still smells and tastes great.

I think if you have the pack sealed in a mason jar with your stuff, the external environment doesn’t matter too much. Of course stored in a dark, cool space is probably best. Especially dark, since the UV ain’t good for the Bud.

They have their uses and at times are helpful, but like @Cob_nUt I’ve pretty much stopped using them. Mine dried out after a couple months but I was opening the jar daily to consume nugs. Long term I’d rather just dry and cure my buds to my liking and store without. I also prefer a drier herb and sometimes would have to leave out a bud before breaking it up.

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
They have their uses and at times are helpful, but like @Cob_nUt I’ve pretty much stopped using them. Mine dried out after a couple months but I was opening the jar daily to consume nugs. Long term I’d rather just dry and cure my buds to my liking and store without. I also prefer a drier herb and sometimes would have to leave out a bud before breaking it up.
You can just soak them in distilled water and they work again.

DET—PDX

Insanely Active Member
Yeah I did a little searching, can easily be rehydrated.

Thanks for the responses on flavor, I was going to add them after a week of curing. Sounds like they’re not going to be worth it in my opinion. Heads up you can add a fan leaf in your jar if you’re too dry, should help get moisture in the jar back up slowly.

LordKoos

I've been using the Bovedas for a couple of seasons now and love them, they take so much hassle out of storing weed. But perhaps I'm not as picky as some folks. The packs are still nice and moist after two years, and I'm in a dry climate. If they do dry out, you can just leave a wet towel wrapped around them for awhile, and presto, they are restored. We don't dip into the big jars, for smoking I pack smaller jars of buds that will last for a few weeks and leave the large jars undisturbed in the dark. The best smoke seems to be from jars that have not been opened at all for several months. I haven't noticed any ill effects on the taste from using them, but I haven't done a controlled experiment, maybe I will do that for the next harvest. We're smoking last year's stuff now and it's kept remarkably well.

Last edited:

Venge

I as well have been using them. I like them and find them to work very well. I am very fussy with both flavour and smell and feel confident these have not affected my herb at all. I have not done any side by side comparisons but just my opinion. Yes they are best for long term storage. I found when opening and closing my smaller jar they dried up quicker. Now that I have been moving from larger jar to personal use jar things are even better.

Venge

Hey all, was listening to a podcast on KIS and one of the guests said he found boveda packs to add a strange smell and flavor. Having never used them, I have to ask do you agree? I am hesitant to belive him, but I’d like to hear what you boveda users think. Does it negatively affect taste/flavor?

My next question is lifespan. What environment would be best to prolong the humidity pack? I am thinking 62% external environment would prolong it the most, but this is unlikely for most of us to have a controlled drying room. Do you think under 62% or over 62% would prolong the pack best?
I had a similar thought.i was wondering if they diminish flavour.in the past wen I,v let nugs get a bit too dry I used to stick a wee bit of fresh leaf in the tub to add a wee bit o moisture .every time I did it I noticed it had really diminished the taste and smell of the nugs so I stopped doing it that way, then i got some bovedas and it did affect taste and smell but in a positive way.the nugs are curing amazingly with em so far.i,m well impressed.

I use Boveda in their Cvault and in jars (sizes range from pint to gallon) for curing after a proper drying has occurred. I use the 58% and 63% packs. Have some going into the Cvault soon - its the large size that takes two 8gram packs. Never noticed any issues. Recent cure on Golden Lemons is looking great. Went in right at 65% with some 58% packs. When they went in (two weeks ago) there was very little aroma, flowers were dense but fluffy, not overly frosted. Now the frost is showing, the lemon aroma is kicking up, terps still there, dense and hard now. Boveda packs both still in good shape with plenty of life.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Boveda packs can be regenerated. Simply wet a paper towel and ring it out and wrap the pack up for 24 to 48 hours and bingo fresh boveda pack. I have done this a bunch and it works. Have fun.
I use mine for both "burping-weed" and the cured stuff. They give as much as they take that way if you rotate them

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
Boveda packs can be regenerated. Simply wet a paper towel and ring it out and wrap the pack up for 24 to 48 hours and bingo fresh boveda pack. I have done this a bunch and it works. Have fun.
I use a stick of celery to regenerate the Bovedas. Just today, removed eight 62% packs from a quart jar with one stick of celery. The hygrometer in the jar showed 82% after 4 days, the packs are plush. Put the celery back in the jar with another 4 packs. The celery alone will pin the hygrometer @ 99%.

KMOG

Always rockin’ at half mast
I use a stick of celery to regenerate the Bovedas. Just today, removed eight 62% packs from a quart jar with one stick of celery. The hygrometer in the jar showed 82% after 4 days, the packs are plush. Put the celery back in the jar with another 4 packs. The celery alone will pin the hygrometer @ 99%.
Last post was beginning for of November, dunno if it’s a live thread