Bonsai Mothers and Root Pruning

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Yeah I’m sure both will work, but the larger pots will need less attention for watering.
Sure if you have the space why not. I’m limited in space and i don’t want them to get too big in there. Anyway, i’m curious how big actually they would get in a 3.5 so if you ever do that post it up.

Oh and as for choosing plastic containers i abide by one rule, as long as they are made out of pp and not ps or any other bpa containing plastic they should be fine. If i can find food grade that’s even better.

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
Hahha. Yeah they do bro. Keep an eye on them and prune and shape. If you let them grow as they please for too long they will become very unruly. That apical dominance must be broken by topping frequently.

But yeah small pots are ok. I’ve even kept them in smaller pots. Like 2” square airpots. They were drying out too much and i was transplanting too frequently so switched back to these.
I can get bigger ones, but if these will do without too much fuss then I'll go with them.

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
Sure if you have the space why not. I’m limited in space and i don’t want them to get too big in there. Anyway, i’m curious how big actually they would get in a 3.5 so if you ever do that post it up.

Oh and as for choosing plastic containers i abide by one rule, as long as they are made out of pp and not ps or any other bpa containing plastic they should be fine. If i can find food grade that’s even better.
PP (Polypropylene) probably my favorite plastic. Resistant to many chemicals.

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
PP (Polypropylene) probably my favorite plastic. Resistant to many chemicals.
You guys are, like, plastic nerds. LMAO.

Finally got another tent and lights to go with it. Just need to get a couple of clip fans.

The tent is a Vista Medium, by HomeBox. It’s 48” x 24” x 48” high. I’ve set it up for three areas - top left is cloning (where it will be warmer) the light there is a Sunblaster T5HO Fluorescent. Bottom left is for Bonsai Mothers, I have two 24” 24 Watt Sunblaster LED’s for this area. On the right is the vegging area. The light there is a Spider-Farmer SF1000 LED, drawing only 100 watts (unconfirmed) from the wall.

00386DD6-7318-42D5-8CAC-E25B2851A667.jpeg59AF396E-D2B6-40C8-B35B-6ABB512406DA.jpeg

For ventilation, I have some 6” ducting joined to the flower tent where the fan/filter is located. I’m not sure yet if that’s gonna be sufficient ventilation for the veg tent.

50AD842E-2759-4BD3-B4AC-A758B87EC35B.jpeg

Now I’m excited to get it all operational!

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨

Finally got another tent and lights to go with it. Just need to get a couple of clip fans.

The tent is a Vista Medium, by HomeBox. It’s 48” x 24” x 48” high. I’ve set it up for three areas - top left is cloning (where it will be warmer) the light there is a Sunblaster T5HO Fluorescent. Bottom left is for Bonsai Mothers, I have two 24” 24 Watt Sunblaster LED’s for this area. On the right is the vegging area. The light there is a Spider-Farmer SF1000 LED, drawing only 100 watts (unconfirmed) from the wall.

View attachment 35866View attachment 35865

For ventilation, I have some 6” ducting joined to the flower tent where the fan/filter is located. I’m not sure yet if that’s gonna be sufficient ventilation for the veg tent.

View attachment 35867

LMAO 😂 yes. And weed nerds. lol

SUPER CLEAN setup, love the organization, functionality, and efficient use of space. Would you mind posting a link to your pots and tray? I've decided that the original ones I got are too small.

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone

And Thanks!

SUPER CLEAN setup, love the organization, functionality, and efficient use of space. Would you mind posting a link to your pots and tray? I've decided that the original ones I got are too small.
Yes we certainly do need nerds!

McConkey 3.5" Square Nursery Pot (Case of 60) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00FL1SE7O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_Bn34v6JYGbXkj These are the pots. For trays, I’m just using the heavy duty 10 x 20’s. The Trays hold 15 of the pots.

I DID NOT check the type of plastic they were before I purchased them, but they are pretty high quality - not the thin cheapo nursery ones.

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
Yes we certainly do need nerds!

McConkey 3.5" Square Nursery Pot (Case of 60) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00FL1SE7O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_Bn34v6JYGbXkj These are the pots. For trays, I’m just using the heavy duty 10 x 20’s. The Trays hold 15 of the pots.

I DID NOT check the type of plastic they were before I purchased them, but they are pretty high quality - not the thin cheapo nursery ones.
Nice thanks st1r. I replaced .ca with .com and US price came up. I have a few McConkey 5.5" and I believe they're Polypropylene. These look like a great size. Appreciate the link.

dstroy

Insanely Active Member

View attachment 35867

sweet!

crimsonecho

View attachment 35867

Hahha. Yeah we are bro. Since i heard plants can take up BPA and all that carcinogen shit i’m going with PP. Generally the high quality ones are PP anyways.

Bruh i’m guessing you are gonna return back to the little ones as 5.5 inch pots are very big for bonsai. You can keep full sized mothers those pots and i’m actually flowering my Destroyers in same sized pots give or take a couple of inches maybe. Thats my 2 cents. But hey try them man, maybe we’ll learn something new. Hahaha.
Thanks for starting this thread over here on CP. I’m starting a new, small 2x2 veg room and looking to start keeping some mothers bonsai’d. I’m hoping to bonsai, clone, and begin my first Diy LED project in that same space. I love the space-efficiency of bonasai tech.
You are welcome man. When and if you have anything you want to ask i’d be glad to help.

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
Hahha. Yeah we are bro. Since i heard plants can take up BPA and all that carcinogen shit i’m going with PP. Generally the high quality ones are PP anyways.

Bruh i’m guessing you are gonna return back to the little ones as 5.5 inch pots are very big for bonsai. You can keep full sized mothers those pots and i’m actually flowering my Destroyers in same sized pots give or take a couple of inches maybe. Thats my 2 cents. But hey try them man, maybe we’ll learn something new. Hahaha.

You are welcome man. When and if you have anything you want to ask i’d be glad to help.
I was referring to getting those 3.5" that st1r linked. I have 5.5" mcconkey was just referencing that to say I know the plastic is PP. The 2.5" I previously got seem a bit too small. :)

crimsonecho

I was referring to getting those 3.5" that st1r linked. I have 5.5" mcconkey was just referencing that to say I know the plastic is PP. The 2.5" I previously got seem a bit too small. :)
Ah ok then. I was scared for you hahhaha. Well 2.5” works for me but i get it. I too felt like it was gonna be impossible to keep them alive in that tiny space but they live man. They live! Rofl.

And a reminder for myself; definitely, with little pots 4/4 schedule works better. They were under 24 hours for a while and that’s a no! Deficiencies. Now i again changed the schedule so they are on 4/4 and they are looking better. 12 hours of light in a day, keeps them healthy and your money stays in your pocket.

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
Ah ok then. I was scared for you hahhaha. Well 2.5” works for me but i get it. I too felt like it was gonna be impossible to keep them alive in that tiny space but they live man. They live! Rofl.

And a reminder for myself; definitely, with little pots 4/4 schedule works better. They were under 24 hours for a while and that’s a no! Deficiencies. Now i again changed the schedule so they are on 4/4 and they are looking better. 12 hours of light in a day, keeps them healthy and your money stays in your pocket.
sorry I must be misunderstanding. You mean 20 on 4 off? or 18/6? I've been keeping under 24 because the tent they're in until their new tent home is ready is blasting 24 for veg/reveg and new stuff is rotating in every few weeks. I was already thinking of changing up that schedule too.

crimsonecho

sorry I must be misunderstanding. You mean 20 on 4 off? or 18/6? I've been keeping under 24 because the tent they're in until their new tent home is ready is blasting 24 for veg/reveg and new stuff is rotating in every few weeks. I was already thinking of changing up that schedule too.
Nah bro 4hrs on/4hrs off. That’s what i’m doing. It works well. Keeps them more relaxed ime.

crimsonecho

interesting, I don't think I've heard of that before. I guess cuz I've never kept any mothers lol.
I don’t know if it’s a common thing or not but i have tried it for 4-5 months and they were happier with that compared to 24hrs on. 18/6 will not hurt of course but seeing the only problem with bonsai is keeping it small and the growth at the minimum, cutting 6 more hours of light made sense to me and they were ok with it.

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
A couple pics of the veg tent.

F07E6DDA-3229-4EB4-B85A-6F0ABC2C5331.jpeg
ECF6DC2F-327F-4AD8-B6CD-D40163D926A6.jpeg
Most of the plants in the front tray are clones of the female Bodega Bubblegums that are getting bred in the flower tent, with the exception of three GG4 clones.

The tray up top has some Dubstep Clones and The Green Pheno of GMO Cake in there.

The ones on the back are Heisen clone mothers from my last run. I wish I would have been better at cloning back then since I was not able to get a clone of every plant I ran.

C12BB541-2132-493A-BA39-F53B9C44F6AE.jpeg

That big one in the middle is the Purple Pheno of GMO Cake I’m trying to re-veg. It’s been over a month and there is only some very tiny little growth happening. I’ll give it another month or two. I just need enough growth to get a clone or two.

Those plants in the domed trays are the Wife’s bedding out plants for this spring. There is Cosmos, Petunias, Sweet Peas, Gazania, Venidium and Calendula.

Last edited: