Blumat Drip System

SCJedi

Synergist
For what it is worth I first learned about Flying Skull products from a large scale commercial operation in the Spokane Valley (Phat Panda) that used it as part of their IPM.

macsnax

PICK YOUR OWN
@Capt C here's the res level viewing tube, and for anyone else trying to diy a res. I would check sustainable village for that type of bulkhead for the bottom of the res. It goes up the side and is capped off with a small hole so it can breath. Then just add a couple holes in the top of the res to zip tie it securely to the res. Ignore the top black mark, but the bottom one is for reference so I don't let the pump suck in air. 20190826_145652.jpgScreenshot_20190826-164546_Gallery.jpg

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
@Capt C here's the res level viewing tube, and for anyone else trying to diy a res. I would check sustainable village for that type of bulkhead for the bottom of the res. It goes up the side and is capped off with a small hole so it can breath. Then just add a couple holes in the top of the res to zip tie it securely to the res. Ignore the top black mark, but the bottom one is for reference so I don't let the pump suck in air. View attachment 19514View attachment 19515
Okay @macsnax i understand the lower fitting. I am a bit confused as to what i am looking at the top of the tube. Are those brackets holding the tube in place? Can i just place a cork at the end of the tube with a small hole drilled thru it and fasten the tube to the outside of the reservoir? The tube where it hooks to the bulkhead fitting is bent into that 90 correct?

macsnax

PICK YOUR OWN
Okay @macsnax i understand the lower fitting. I am a bit confused as to what i am looking at the top of the tube. Are those brackets holding the tube in place? Can i just place a cork at the end of the tube with a small hole drilled thru it and fasten the tube to the outside of the reservoir? The tube where it hooks to the bulkhead fitting is bent into that 90 correct?
It's not bent, but it would be a lot cooler if it was, lol. It's a straight fitting, if I were building one I would look for something with a 90. And ya a cork with a hole will work just fine. That's some kind of fitting that let's it breath, you may find it over at SV. Then all you need is a hole on each side of the tube for the zip tie. I don't see the need for two like they have.

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
It's not bent, but it would be a lot cooler if it was, lol. It's a straight fitting, if I were building one I would look for something with a 90. And ya a cork with a hole will work just fine. That's some kind of fitting that let's it breath, you may find it over at SV. Then all you need is a hole on each side of the tube for the zip tie. I don't see the need for two like they have.
Okay cool thanks i think i can rig it up. Will probably find everything i need at SV.

SCJedi

Synergist
Here is my 27g reservoir with 2 bulkheads. I just put it on the shelf next to the tent.

Do yourself a favor and buy an extra bulkhead as they are kind of fragile. Also, grab a few of the shut-off valves. I just loop mine through the tent and back with one in the middle to drain air, etc.

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190826182027769_COVER - Copy.jpg

In fact, I am rinsing everything today to get my next round going.

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190826182013032_COVER - Copy.jpg

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
Here is my 27g reservoir with 2 bulkheads. I just put it on the shelf next to the tent.

Do yourself a favor and buy an extra bulkhead as they are kind of fragile. Also, grab a few of the shut-off valves. I just loop mine through the tent and back with one in the middle to drain air, etc.

View attachment 19527

In fact, I am rinsing everything today to get my next round going.

View attachment 19529
I am going to try the quick connect bulkhead fittings from SV. I hope they are not that fragile. They were a bit pricey. I thought it was funny when i was reading your post i was thinking ok i can cut it in the center of the loop but i have 2 pieces of tubing i have to connect both pieces to the shut off valve how the hell am i supposed to drain off air or water. Once i realized i could just tee off of the tubing and then put the shut off valve. At that point i figured i had consumed just about enough of a friend of mine's GG4. LOL

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
I rotate it with other items in a IPM program. I never use any of them twice in a row
I have been using the Azamax for over 5 years without any problems. I think i must be just lucky i have not had any bug issues. I am going to order some of the Nuke Em and start rotating them like you do and hopefully i will remain bug free.

SCJedi

Synergist
I have been using the Azamax for over 5 years without any problems. I think i must be just lucky i have not had any bug issues. I am going to order some of the Nuke Em and start rotating them like you do and hopefully i will remain bug free.
Azamax is a very solid, reputable product.

It is best practices to rotate in an integrated pest management program. I rotate insect frass/neem meal top dresses, Nuke 'em, Pyganic, Neem/Karanja Oils, and coconut flakes/ksil/essential oils. This year's I added 500 assassin bugs and 2000 Californicus mites so I have been spraying less.

I also drench with a weekly tea that has mycos, neem, frass, and Actinovate in it. Occasionally, coconut water and malted barley top dresses too.

macsnax

PICK YOUR OWN
Gave my system it's first dose of z7 last night. No issues to date, but I like staying ahead of problems. I now have enzymes and bennies going so at the least my roots should be really healthy.

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
Gave my system it's first dose of z7 last night. No issues to date, but I like staying ahead of problems. I now have enzymes and bennies going so at the least my roots should be really healthy.
Mac are you using the hydro guard as well with the Z7?

macsnax

PICK YOUR OWN
Mac are you using the hydro guard as well with the Z7?
I sure am, still had a lil smell in the res, I think from warm temps. It's significantly less smell this morning after the Z7. They must be doing their job.

Last edited:

macsnax

PICK YOUR OWN
@Capt C ...... So I just spent the last 45 min cleaning up a flood. Opened this tent to an inch of water in the pan. So what happened here was those root spikes formed a mound. This root mound acted like a barrier between the direction my nutes are moving through the pot and the carrot. It caused the pot to flood before the carrot turned off the flow. I just want to state for general info, for anyone.... Most floods I've had were directly related to how far that drip tube is from the carrot. Might be a good idea to start off with these closer to the carrot and the drippers turned down and adjust from there. I thought I was pass the floods, but conditions change even if they're small. I'll be on the lookout for this from now on, lol. You can see in the second pic that I moved the drip tube back, it was directly over the white root spikes.

20190902_214049.jpg20190902_214056.jpg

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
@Capt C ...... So I just spent the last 45 min cleaning up a flood. Opened this tent to an inch of water in the pan. So what happened here was those root spikes formed a mound. This root mound acted like a barrier between the direction my nutes are moving through the pot and the carrot. It caused the pot to flood before the carrot turned off the flow. I just want to state for general info, for anyone.... Most floods I've had were directly related to how far that drip tube is from the carrot. Might be a good idea to start off with these closer to the carrot and the drippers turned down and adjust from there. I thought I was pass the floods, but conditions change even if they're small. I'll be on the lookout for this from now on, lol. You can see in the second pic that I moved the drip tube back, it was directly over the white root spikes.

View attachment 20332View attachment 20333
I am not sure i understand what happened there.

macsnax

PICK YOUR OWN
Here I kinda drew it out for better visualization. The drip tube was extended further out above the lil root mound and it made the feed move away from the carrot. Because of this by the time the carrot senses to shut off flow, the pot had flooded. The roots actually formed a small dense mound pushing the feed away basically. Make sense? Screenshot_20190903-080746_Gallery.jpg

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
Here I kinda drew it out for better visualization. The drip tube was extended further out above the lil root mound and it made the feed move away from the carrot. Because of this by the time the carrot senses to shut off flow, the pot had flooded. The roots actually formed a small dense mound pushing the feed away basically. Make sense? View attachment 20370
No not fully. So the root mound was keeping the moisture from getting to the carrot? Do you think there is a ideal placement on the feed tube to prevent this from happening? Will this happen again were you have it placed? Should we be trying to reposition the feed tube like once a week or something? Sorry for all of the questions Mac.

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
Just finished up my new 12 gallon reservoir. I am giving it a leak test now. @macsnax i used a styrofoam packing peanut and cut it down to fit in tube. I spray painted with orange so i could see it better.new resivoir 001.JPGnew resivoir 003.JPG

macsnax

PICK YOUR OWN
It may happen again as the root cluster gets bigger right there. I'm on the watch out for it now though. Those roots aren't letting the nutes evenly saturate the pot, they're making it flow away from the carrot. So where the carrot is at is the last part of the pot to get moisture. By the time it senses to shut off its already flooding. And to be honest this is starting to seem a lot more like hydro than it was when hand watering. Not complaining at all, but the increased growth rates and the super quick root growth, this is really like hydro. I won't be doing this again in 1 gal pots. I think 2 gal plus is the way to go with coco and blumats.