Best watering can?

iShatterBladderz

Cannabis Connoisseur
Hello all,

I grow indoors, in tents, using a mixture of coco and perlite. I feed drain to waste, to 20 percent runoff. I currently use a generic 2 gal watering can I got off of amazon, that has a plastic shower head end spout. It works great after the first topping, but up until then, I have to remove the shower head spout to avoid splashing the plants because of the angle of the spout I assume, and without it the water "erodes" the coco and I’m always going behind it and leveling the coco back out. I‘ve been making it work, and I do have an auto-feed system in a box somewhere in the garage, but I really do prefer hand-watering whenever my plant count allows for it.

what watering cans do you use or have you used that have a gentle flow and are good for using with seedlings or shorter plants, where this isn’t as much room between your bottom leaves and surface of your medium?

Punisher84

Just some asshole
I got a 1 gallon watering can I put a piece of 1/2" silicone tubing on the end of the snout. Came from a home brew project. Nice soft hose, easy to manipulate. I can pinch the stream off with my fingers. Works well.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I use both. If I am feeding I have a short 1gal plastic watering can. I think the smaller ones are easier to maneuver around the plants. But for just watering I use a pump sprayer like for insecticide.

Cobzilla

Super Active Member
I got a 1 gallon watering can I put a piece of 1/2" silicone tubing on the end of the snout. Came from a home brew project. Nice soft hose, easy to manipulate. I can pinch the stream off with my fingers. Works well.
I do this exact thing but I have also tie wrapped about 2 feet piece of aluminum angle left over from making my lights to the last 2 feet of the tubing.,making it so you really don't have to even bend over and it makes it very easy to direct the stream of water. Really saves my bad back.. ✌

iShatterBladderz

Cannabis Connoisseur
i think I’m going to go ahead and order a 3 gallon Chapin compression sprayer. I’ll probably stick to the hand pump over the battery powered model, seems it’d easier to keep the stream gentle with a hand-pump rather than a battery operated. Plus, I rarely have more than 20 plants, a lot of the times only half of that.

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
5 gallon water bottle...mix shake pour..I use a 1 gallon juice jug for the hard to get stuff. I crawl around under the canopy and then look for balls or dead leaves.

I am getting arms like popeye....its cause i eats my spinach !! and slug around a lot of 5 gallon water bottles.

But you got me thinking. I think i will convert an autopot res to accept a 3/8 flexible hose with an on off valve at the end. If i use an aquarium pump i can stir and agitate it a few minutes and then pour it.

Autopots are not my favorite. But i can repurpose it all.

Punisher84

Just some asshole
5 gallon water bottle...mix shake pour..I use a 1 gallon juice jug for the hard to get stuff. I crawl around under the canopy and then look for balls or dead leaves.

I am getting arms like popeye....its cause i eats my spinach !! and slug around a lot of 5 gallon water bottles.

But you got me thinking. I think i will convert an autopot res to accept a 3/8 flexible hose with an on off valve at the end. If i use an aquarium pump i can stir and agitate it a few minutes and then pour it.

Autopots are not my favorite. But i can repurpose it all.
Either you got long arms or you’re a little fella. If I went to crawling around below the canopy my next post would “Help how do I fix snapped stems”

You have a larger growing area so it might be a bit different but my ass isn’t getting in my grow area anytime soon

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
I am very stealthy for a giant man....like a rhino ninja ! And i use big planters so there is more room.

And move everything 1 foot to the right. Then to the left. The ones at the back though they get the juice jug.

Last edited:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I think the think to look for in in a watering apparatus if you have any sediment in your feed (like Big Bloom) is something that pours from the bottom of the device.

Pump sprayers and watering cans do this. random jugs and pitchers don't. I grow in soil, but I soak the plants a little at a time. If I have 4 plants and am feeding a gallon each I'll mix it up and split it into 4 buckets to make sure each plant gets roughly the same thing with no settling of the solids. (being mildly OCD helps)

I use a 1 gallon watering can, but I only feed about a quart at a time. I just go from plant to plant until the buckets are empty. After that if I don't have decent runoff I use the sprayer and RO water w/ calmag. With the sprayer you can "measure" with the number of pumps you give it.

Vee

Ancient Member
Hello all,

I grow indoors, in tents, using a mixture of coco and perlite. I feed drain to waste, to 20 percent runoff. I currently use a generic 2 gal watering can I got off of amazon, that has a plastic shower head end spout. It works great after the first topping, but up until then, I have to remove the shower head spout to avoid splashing the plants because of the angle of the spout I assume, and without it the water "erodes" the coco and I’m always going behind it and leveling the coco back out. I‘ve been making it work, and I do have an auto-feed system in a box somewhere in the garage, but I really do prefer hand-watering whenever my plant count allows for it.

what watering cans do you use or have you used that have a gentle flow and are good for using with seedlings or shorter plants, where this isn’t as much room between your bottom leaves and surface of your medium?

The Relaxed Gardener Watering Wand - 15" Garden Hose Nozzle Sprayer 8 Adjustable Spray Patterns and Thumb Control Shut Off Valve $20.00?

Good value

iShatterBladderz

Cannabis Connoisseur
my tents are in bedrooms, so nose hose connection. Need something that can hold the water as well as dispense it. I am actually on my way to UPS to send off some amazon returns now and then will probably order a compression sprayer to see how that does.

Reactions: Vee

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
my tents are in bedrooms, so nose hose connection. Need something that can hold the water as well as dispense it. I am actually on my way to UPS to send off some amazon returns now and then will probably order a compression sprayer to see how that does.
I think a compression sprayer is the way to go.
I’ve been thinking about this for a while since it’s a pain in the ass to move plants out of the tent to be able to water the ones in the back.
I like the sprayers that have the adjustable nozzles so you can get a flood of water and not necessarily a “spray”.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I think a compression sprayer is the way to go.
I’ve been thinking about this for a while since it’s a pain in the ass to move plants out of the tent to be able to water the ones in the back.
I like the sprayers that have the adjustable nozzles so you can get a flood of water and not necessarily a “spray”.
The pain in the ass is that the cheap ones have a very stiff hose. One with a softer - longer hose would be primo. Probably be a DIY project though

I buy this ring for all my hose... :ROFLMAO:
1576633128598.png