Bending clones

Dustjesus

Insanely Active Member
This problem has gotten under my skin enough that I'm going to make a post here and hope someone has an answer.

Took fresh cuts last night. They are under a single bulb t5 10 inches or so from top of dome. Heat mat thermostat set to 80 degrees. They bend over then reach up forming a sort of S pattern. Stems are rigid. No wilting. Anyone??

20191122_160256.jpg

20191122_160243.jpg

macsnax

PICK YOUR OWN
This problem has gotten under my skin enough that I'm going to make a post here and hope someone has an answer.

Took fresh cuts last night. They are under a single bulb t5 10 inches or so from top of dome. Heat mat thermostat set to 80 degrees. They bend over then reach up forming a sort of S pattern. Stems are rigid. No wilting. Anyone??

View attachment 31495

View attachment 31496
Whatever hormone you're using is too strong. They'll root and grow out of it just fine. I would look into a different rooting hormone though, lol.

Last edited:

Evergreengardener

Agronomist,

View attachment 31495

View attachment 31496
My clones always do this can’t explain it, I’ve used different rooting hormones different lights different temps etc. they always seem to make it through just fine though

Sc006

If I know anything. I know nothing.
This made me think about first time I used a homemade bubble cloner. I put rooting powder on the stalks and put a little in the water. By the next day the cut ends had actually turned up wards in a j shape out of the water. They were thinking I would rather die than drink that shit 😆.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
This made me think about first time I used a homemade bubble cloner. I put rooting powder on the stalks and put a little in the water. By the next day the cut ends had actually turned up wards in a j shape out of the water. They were thinking I would rather die than drink that shit 😆.
I saw a pic of that recently :)

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
My only thought on the amount of foliage left is that the leaves are going to try and stay alive, and drink from roots that aren't there. I am not presuming to diagnose the issue above, but here's stoner-thought-nuggets to consider LOL

If my plants wilt like that, it is usually because they are bone dry. That is the only comparison I can relate to the bendy-stem thing.

Your rooting pods are probably pretty darn wet, so it's not the dry-ness, unless

It's the disconnect between the want for water and the ability to deliver it.

Pruning more leaves, or "fim-cutting" the tips off more of the leaves might slow this?

Just food for thought.

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
For me some make that j shape in the cloner and some don't. No idea why. Still roots the cutting however.