Article on post-harvest humidity management

Choco8

Insanely Active Member
Here's an interesting article that outlines some of the drying techniques used by a Washington cannabis company "Solstice".
Sounds like the entire process is done at under 62 degrees F, quite a bit cooler than I thought was the common parameter for the industry.

They look to do it it 10 days. I had always started in the 72 degree range and 45% h, but am curious about what others here may think about the best temperature and humidity progression as the dry takes hold.

“We try to not let anything heat up so we have terpene preservation throughout the entire ‘Cold Train,’” Allen says, adding they keep the temperature below 62°F. “If you’re able to smell the cannabis product, those are terpenes leaving the product itself, so the goal is to keep it cold and controlled and not handle the product very much.”

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Just because of my location I find that the cooler temp helps keep the rH closer to good. I have pretty dry air - 30-50% usually in the house regardless of outside. I have an old cedar wardrobe that maintains the rH right at 58% unless I fill it with plants, then it gets to the mid-60's. I have a little fan installed to move air when that happens.

I think the unfinished cedar is a natural humidity and pest controller.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
For long term storage I use the 62% packs like most, but I think a little lower is fine, and they'll re-hydrate a little in the jar. It's better than mold...

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Good info in the article but the last part says it - big scale commercial. I hadn't paid attention to it but when the temp is colder the smell is usually less so that's a good nugget. The little AC Infinity cabinet fan I installed lets some humidity our even when it's not running and it's ducted through a carbon filter. I turn it on when I first put plants in, then off after a day - good second opinion that I'm not fucking that up 🤪

But when the exhaust is not running the piece of furniture is not airtight, so the smell is noticable when it's there.

Evergreengardener

Agronomist,
I have had a plant hanging in an out building for about 15 days now( not my normal) but it’s pretty chilled out there maybe 50 degrees 40-50 percent humidity. it’s drying but super slowly ( no mold or mildew yet) it was a smaller plant that I just wanted to see how long it would take to dry in that condition. And if there was a noticeable difference in smoke ( it’s a plant I know well).

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
Good info in the article but the last part says it - big scale commercial. I hadn't paid attention to it but when the temp is colder the smell is usually less so that's a good nugget. The little AC Infinity cabinet fan I installed lets some humidity our even when it's not running and it's ducted through a carbon filter. I turn it on when I first put plants in, then off after a day - good second opinion that I'm not fucking that up 🤪

But when the exhaust is not running the piece of furniture is not airtight, so the smell is noticable when it's there.
When you smell the weed, that means the heads are "gassing off".
I find it better to dry in cooler temps. Way less smell escaping.
I haven't really kept up with the latest and greatest drying techniques.
Temps and humidity fluctuates so much in the winter months. Hard to keep in control of it.
It's 70 degrees here today. Humidity is <40 degrees indoors.

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
I have had a plant hanging in an out building for about 15 days now( not my normal) but it’s pretty chilled out there maybe 50 degrees 40-50 percent humidity. it’s drying but super slowly ( no mold or mildew yet) it was a smaller plant that I just wanted to see how long it would take to dry in that condition. And if there was a noticeable difference in smoke ( it’s a plant I know well).
I always try and keep a moving air flow in the room. Just don't blow directly on the plants, I point the fan in another direction. You never want "stagnant" air if you can help it.
I used to dry flower in the frig, but seemed to affect the taste of the end product a little in a negative way.

Evergreengardener

Agronomist,
I always try and keep a moving air flow in the room. Just don't blow directly on the plants, I point the fan in another direction. You never want "stagnant" air if you can help it.
I used to dry flower in the frig, but seemed to affect the taste of the end product a little in a negative way.
Yea I do have a oscillating fan moving air like I said it’s not my normal but wanted to see how a long ass dry was I’m guessing they will go 3-3 1/2 weeks before they are dry enough to even trim lol