Apprentice’s First Chuck!

Hust17

PICK YOUR OWN
Hello friends! Thank you for stopping in! I had a few inquiries and hopefully I can cover the basics of my first chuck without pollenating my entire tent by accident. I had a very impressive plant in veg, I was extremely excited to flower it out, it was showing frost in veg and also had 11 bladed leaves, something I’ve also never personally experienced. So the decision was made, my first chuck is going down! Here is the rundown..

I have a sealed 2nd bedroom that my flower tent is in with my girls.
I just moved a tiny 2x2 tent into my primary bedroom which is just down the hall from my grow room, whose door is always closed. This is now housing the male.
My girls are on day 30 right now while the male (God’s Bubba from JOTI) is on day 14, all still on 12/12.
I am hoping to pollenate a single branch on each of my 2 choice females (Blue Dream from Nirvana and Watermelon from Lift & Co).

So that’s my setup right now. First question, how long do you think before the male drops his load?
364A6D35-BE2F-4CBF-BE3F-0FB7956D1A6A.jpeg
And a follow up question.. If I flower the girls for another 6 weeks, will I still have time to get a good seed run in here?

Here is the plan then :) When he is ready, I will shake my male into a container to collect the pollen for immediate and future use.

I will then pull a single female at a time into the bathroom (separated from both bedrooms, with exhaust on). I will then carefully attempt to use a paintbrush to ‘paint’ some freshly collected pollen onto the chosen branch on each female. Thanks for whoever gave me the tip to dab the brush on the trichs to get the pollen to stick to the brush initially.

From here it gets a little dicey and herein rises my next question. Should I spray the hit branches right away with water and then brown paper bag it and move it back into the flower tent? Any advice on this stage would be awesome!! Though the plan is to paint the selected branch carefully, let sit for a while, spray with water, let sit for a while, brown paper bag, move back to flower tent. How long do I need to bag these branches to ensure others dont get pollenated?

I plan to preserve this freshly collected pollen to attempt to use on my favourite girls next flower run as well. So at this point I have freshly shaken pollen in a container. As far as this stage goes, I know I need to get JUST the pollen, plant material left will damage my pollen in storage. I have read that you can use flour at a certain ratio to preserve the pollen. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. I am likely looking to keep it for 2-3 months. But I will get the pollen separated, placed in an airtight container and placed in the freezer for use next run.

That is what I have so far in the works. Please feel free to tell me I’m doing everything wrong and guide me in the right direction. This is my first attempt at a legit chuck and I really want to nail it! Any advice or tips are greatly appreciated! 🥰

sfrigon1

Seed Aficionado
Hello friends! Thank you for stopping in! I had a few inquiries and hopefully I can cover the basics of my first chuck without pollenating my entire tent by accident. I had a very impressive plant in veg, I was extremely excited to flower it out, it was showing frost in veg and also had 11 bladed leaves, something I’ve also never personally experienced. So the decision was made, my first chuck is going down! Here is the rundown..

I have a sealed 2nd bedroom that my flower tent is in with my girls.
I just moved a tiny 2x2 tent into my primary bedroom which is just down the hall from my grow room, whose door is always closed. This is now housing the male.
My girls are on day 30 right now while the male (God’s Bubba from JOTI) is on day 14, all still on 12/12.
I am hoping to pollenate a single branch on each of my 2 choice females (Blue Dream from Nirvana and Watermelon from Lift & Co).

So that’s my setup right now. First question, how long do you think before the male drops his load?
View attachment 55189
And a follow up question.. If I flower the girls for another 6 weeks, will I still have time to get a good seed run in here?

Here is the plan then :) When he is ready, I will shake my male into a container to collect the pollen for immediate and future use.

I will then pull a single female at a time into the bathroom (separated from both bedrooms, with exhaust on). I will then carefully attempt to use a paintbrush to ‘paint’ some freshly collected pollen onto the chosen branch on each female. Thanks for whoever gave me the tip to dab the brush on the trichs to get the pollen to stick to the brush initially.

From here it gets a little dicey and herein rises my next question. Should I spray the hit branches right away with water and then brown paper bag it and move it back into the flower tent? Any advice on this stage would be awesome!! Though the plan is to paint the selected branch carefully, let sit for a while, spray with water, let sit for a while, brown paper bag, move back to flower tent. How long do I need to bag these branches to ensure others dont get pollenated?

I plan to preserve this freshly collected pollen to attempt to use on my favourite girls next flower run as well. So at this point I have freshly shaken pollen in a container. As far as this stage goes, I know I need to get JUST the pollen, plant material left will damage my pollen in storage. I have read that you can use flour at a certain ratio to preserve the pollen. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. I am likely looking to keep it for 2-3 months. But I will get the pollen separated, placed in an airtight container and placed in the freezer for use next run.

That is what I have so far in the works. Please feel free to tell me I’m doing everything wrong and guide me in the right direction. This is my first attempt at a legit chuck and I really want to nail it! Any advice or tips are greatly appreciated! 🥰
Man I am so pumped for you. Lots of good advice her I'm sure. I know a seed takes four to six weeks to mature. The rest I will let the pros answer

LumpLogan

I just did something similar. I collected my pollen in a little seed vile. When my females where were like 2-3 weeks into flower, i took a q-tip with the fans off and pollinated a top on each plant. After a few minutes I cut the fans back on. Make sure you tape the stem so you won't lose the branch you pollinated. Harvested about 50 seeds each plant. The rest of plant was unseeded.

Turpman

PICK YOUR OWN
I think for our science you should make some seed and see if it carries the herm trait LOL no really.

In the future if you just want to pollinate a bud or 2 just use tweezers to pluck a ripe flower and do some dusting. No sense getting a big cloud of pollen going. If you want to store some use a large piece of glass and hold him sideways over the glass and tap tap. Razor blade it up remove flower parts and store in some dry rice. This will make a cloud so best be done far from the girls.

Hust17

PICK YOUR OWN
I think for our science you should make some seed and see if it carries the herm trait LOL no really.

In the future if you just want to pollinate a bud or 2 just use tweezers to pluck a ripe flower and do some dusting. No sense getting a big cloud of pollen going. If you want to store some use a large piece of glass and hold him sideways over the glass and tap tap. Razor blade it up remove flower parts and store in some dry rice. This will make a cloud so best be done far from the girls.
Thank you very much for these tips!! I appreciate it Turp!

Haha I thought about it for sure but I want to nail it my first go :D