Anyone run bho???

Green_256

What's a SIP?
I can't afford a press as of yet, and the extract guy is taking 2 long, so I just picked up 2 pounds of mats to run, bc I need my wax sooner than a few weeks!

eventually we will be buying a very expensive press, just not right now!

so for the time being I need to run bho. about 2 pounds of mats, I was either going to have a blast tube over nighted, or I was seeing on youtube, that a guys blast into big mason jars, with about 8 holes in the lid!

I'm looking for mothods and experience, maybe even a few words of advice! plz no one tell me don't blow up lmfao, safety is on point I'm not 100% stupid! in fact I'll be standing about 30ft away with a fire extinguisher! and taking care of a buddy to do the dangerous parts for me! ill be there as the cheif fire man! lmfao (see told ya I'm not stupid)

also I'm curious about purging! I don't smoke wax, it's too strong for me, but everyone else does, and I've got 2 pounds of larf, trim, and lower grade buds to do something with, and everyone's asking for wax! so here I am, any help would be greatly appreciated!

badmofo529

Insanely Active Member
I wouldn't fuck with bho without a closed loop and a vac chamber. Also if your not recovering your solvent you're kinda of throwing money away imo.

No need for an expensive press either, a harbor freight press and some plates can be had for around 300-350

I don't think you're gonna be able to get a open blasting tube, case or two of tane and a vac chamber for much cheaper than building a press.

If you have 190 proof everclear, or a moonshine guy where you're at, you could do QWET, or QWISO. Slightly less sketchy that open blasting.

Green_256

What's a SIP?
I wouldn't fuck with bho without a closed loop and a vac chamber. Also if your not recovering your solvent you're kinda of throwing money away imo.

No need for an expensive press either, a harbor freight press and some plates can be had for around 300-350

I don't think you're gonna be able to get a open blasting tube, case or two of tane and a vac chamber for much cheaper than building a press.

If you have 190 proof everclear, or a moonshine guy where you're at, you could do QWET, or QWISO. Slightly less sketchy that open blasting.
my options are limited! and I'm on a time frame! I can't spend 300 on a press, I mean if I absolutely have to I will! but I'm trying to get this done for 100$ or less!

I just need to get the cycle over with, by next harvest the boss man is shopping for a press for like 4-5 grand! so I'm not worried about next harvest, but this one I just need a decent product, I don't care to lose a few grams! just need a good zip or two from these 2 pounds! and a decent quality! next harvest we Will have the new press!

my options are limited! and I'm on a time frame! I can't spend 300 on a press, I mean if I absolutely have to I will! but I'm trying to get this done for 100$ or less!

I just need to get the cycle over with, by next harvest the boss man is shopping for a press for like 4-5 grand! so I'm not worried about next harvest, but this one I just need a decent product, I don't care to lose a few grams! just need a good zip or two from these 2 pounds! and a decent quality! next harvest we Will have the new press!
I use extractohol and or Kleen extract. They're food grade solvents so you don't have to worry about remaining solvents. You could use everclear also, but it's more expensive. Not sure how much you need for 2 lbs. I would guess about 3 gallons, but could be more. I wrote this for someone a while back. It makes killer bho type stuff, without the butane, stable at room temps, almost shatter.. Hope it helps.

Before you start, freeze everything for at least 24 hours. The weed (break it up first. I have even used a coffee grinder with great results. Just don't grind it too fine), coffee filters, strainer, jars, etc.

Dump the ground cannabis into a stainless steel pot.

Then set a fan up beside the stove, blowing over the top of the stove. Keep this blowing throughout the entire procedure to prevent fumes from accumulating.

Then pour the solvent over the ground cannabis until it's about 1/2 inch above the top of the cannabis. Agitate it with a wooden spoon constantly for exactly 1 minute.

Then dump the agitated mixture into a screen strainer so the liquid goes into a separate stainless steel pot. Press the cannabis against the screen strainer with the wooden spoon in order to "squeeze" the solvent out of the cannabis.

Then, using the same cannabis in the screen strainer, dump it back into the original stainless steel pot and do the whole thing over again with a NEW/FRESH batch of cold solvent.

Agitate it for another minute and dump it into the screen strainer adding this second extraction to the second pot filled with green/black solvent from the first extraction.

Then grab 10 or 15 glass cups and jars (the more you have, the faster the process). Use #4 unbleached cone-shaped coffee filters. Take a coffee filter and put one inside each cup/jar so it goes about halfway (or less) down into the cup/jar, then fold the edges of the coffee filter around the outside rim of the cup/jar. You don't need to put a rubber band around it to hold it in place. They stay put by themselves very easily.

Take preferably something glass with a spout and dip it into the extracted solvent to fill it, and pour the extracted solvent into each of the coffee filters until they are filled up. Then let the solvent filter through into the the bottoms of the cups/jars.

When each coffee filter gets very close to empty, gently pull it out, and squeeze the remainder into the cup/jar it was in and put the coffee filter into a zip-lock bag (you will collect all the coffee filters to do a final extraction on them in the end). Then dump the filtered material into a Pyrex container. Each time a coffee filter empties, do not fill the same coffee filter up with more alcohol. Instead, insert a new coffee filter into the cup/jar, and fill that one up. If you try to use the same one, it will take FOREVER because they get so much sticky gunk collected in the bottom of them.

Once you've filtered all of the extracted solvent through coffee filters, and poured it into the Pyrex container, take the coffee filters you collected in the zip-lock bag, put them into the original stainless steel pot, and pour new solvent over them, and agitate for a minute or so. Dump this into some coffee filters to filter through, then add it to the Pyrex container.

For the final step, it's best to use a Pyrex pie plate. Pour the liquid into the pie plate on the stove stop with it set on about "2" (around 100-110*F) NEVER ON A GAS STOVE!!! With that little bit of heat, and the fan blowing over the top of it, it will evaporate fairly quickly. As the solvent evaporates, keep adding more from the larger Pyrex container. When the solvent is almost gone, turn off the burner and let the fan evaporate the rest.

When it looks like you pretty much have only oil left, you are done unless you want it orally active. If so, you need to decarboxilate it. If not, you can scrape it with a razor blade and put it in silicon containers. You could also heat it up so it gets less viscous and put it in syringes, but at room temp it will be hard in syringes so you'll have to gently heat them with hot water to be able to plunge it out.

If I don't plan on eating it and only smoking it, at this point I will put it in those small cylindrical silicone containers and freeze it takung little bits out at a time to load the vape.

Otherwise, I decarboxilate it. You can

Preheat the oven to 250*F and put your pie plate in it for 40 minutes to decarboxylate.
Then let it cool some (but not too much because it will get too hard). Put an oven mit or something under on side of the pie plate so it's tilted. Then take a razor blade and scoop the oil down toward the bottom area. Then suck all the oil up with oral syringes (you MUST have caps for the syringes...use 5 ml or 10 ml syringes), put caps on the syringes, and that's it. When I get down to the last of the oil and it is too hard to suck it up with the syringe, I take a syringe without the cap on it, pull the plunger out, and scoop up oil with the razor blade and put it in the open back end of the syringe. Keep scraping the Pyrex pie dish until you get all the oil from it into that syringe. Then put the plunger in the syringe (careful not the plunge the oil out the front), and put the cap on it.

Another very useful tip, but it's a bit complicated to explain. Find a jar (a dark glass large supplement jar is best to keep the light out, but not vital). Put all the syringes into that jar pointed end facing the bottom of the jar. You can get a lot of them into a jar...more than you'd think. Then, store the jar upside down. This way, the oil will gradually flow toward the plunger, and when you take the syringes out, you can push the plunger and squirt out all of the excess air inside the syringe.

Finally, you can use rubbing alcohol and paper towels to clean the sticky oil off of ANYTHING.

Last edited:

IrocZ

Really Active Member
I'm looking for mothods and experience, maybe even a few words of advice! plz no one tell me don't blow up lmfao, safety is on point I'm not 100% stupid! in fact I'll be standing about 30ft away with a fire extinguisher! and taking care of a buddy to do the dangerous parts for me! ill be there as the cheif fire man! lmfao (see told ya I'm not stupid)
Don't Blow Up!

But seriously, don't blow up!

A static electricity spark, will ignite butane, leading to a large kaboom. Try taking a sweatshirt off in the dark and watching/listening to the sparks. This will give an example of how easy it is to have static discharge, which would cause ignition in the presence of butane.

Best done outside as the spark from any electric motor can also lead to a large kaboom.
Being outside can lead to contaminants in the wax. Mainly pollen, I believe, which is definitely an allergen.

So now that I'm...I mean you...I mean your buddy has gotten naked and sprayed outside.

Off topic - New fantasy, watching a chick spray with my method. It's twisted though, because there is always the possibility of blowing up. But...we've taken every precaution...

Make sure it is completely purged!!!

IME it takes some time to learn through doing. The problem is it took a few times to actually get it right. Quality suffered a lot at first, leading to waste. I had to refine all of my handling techniques and figure out exactly which net tech worked before I had anything quality. After a dozen runs give or take, it just wasn't worth it anymore for me. Too much work, and alway's that possibility of blowing up.

Sure people sell open loop home made wax, but be warned quality is a difficult pursuit.

Alcohol extraction has proved much simpler for me, following generally the same process Village Ant posted. I separate first wash, second wash, filter wash, into three separate batches, which will differ in quality. Sure I may have had a couple butane runs which gave me a better product, but for ease of use and safety, I much prefer the quick wash alcohol extraction. Be sure to break up material, to expose as many trichs as possible. Don't soak too long, or you will get a lot chlorophyll in your finished product.

My 2 cents, for what it may be worth.

IrocZ

Really Active Member
Closed loop BHO would be a completely different story, if you can convince Boss man to go for that expense...

A press seems to be most beneficial/economical for most extraction needs. Plus you can DIY them for an even greater saving. Those $3k presses can be made for under $1k.

Disclaimer: I don't have experience with a press yet, as I cannot convince the wife of the expense. Just been surfing the net soaking up knowledge on the subject.

Best of luck however you go!

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
Don't Blow Up!

But seriously, don't blow up!

A static electricity spark, will ignite butane, leading to a large kaboom. Try taking a sweatshirt off in the dark and watching/listening to the sparks. This will give an example of how easy it is to have static discharge, which would cause ignition in the presence of butane.

Best done outside as the spark from any electric motor can also lead to a large kaboom.
Being outside can lead to contaminants in the wax. Mainly pollen, I believe, which is definitely an allergen.

So now that I'm...I mean you...I mean your buddy has gotten naked and sprayed outside.

Off topic - New fantasy, watching a chick spray with my method. It's twisted though, because there is always the possibility of blowing up. But...we've taken every precaution...

Make sure it is completely purged!!!

IME it takes some time to learn through doing. The problem is it took a few times to actually get it right. Quality suffered a lot at first, leading to waste. I had to refine all of my handling techniques and figure out exactly which net tech worked before I had anything quality. After a dozen runs give or take, it just wasn't worth it anymore for me. Too much work, and alway's that possibility of blowing up.

Sure people sell open loop home made wax, but be warned quality is a difficult pursuit.

Alcohol extraction has proved much simpler for me, following generally the same process Village Ant posted. I separate first wash, second wash, filter wash, into three separate batches, which will differ in quality. Sure I may have had a couple butane runs which gave me a better product, but for ease of use and safety, I much prefer the quick wash alcohol extraction. Be sure to break up material, to expose as many trichs as possible. Don't soak too long, or you will get a lot chlorophyll in your finished product.

My 2 cents, for what it may be worth.
I caught my kitchen curtains on fire once from a cheap "crock pot". lol

IrocZ

Really Active Member
I didn't even tell the story of the butane torch blowing up in my face. I was sitting on the couch prepping some hot knives with about 6 people in the living room. I went to adjust the flame and the whole head popped off the torch, and BOOM! I was temporary blinded for about 5 mins, eye brows and beard singed. Oh that melted/burned hair on my face was nasty, but I suppose I was lucky it wasn't any worse.

I learned a lesson that day. Don't use cheap torches(It was a Harbor Freight special) and quadruple check that connection.

10 years later when the torch comes out for dab, I still hear "Remember when that torch blew up in your face?"

quiescent

Super Active Member
I'd say making edibles and selling them by a small tray for about $25-35/8th of material would be easier, have a higher rate of success and be less time consuming.

If you're set on making oil I'd stick with the food grade wash and purge method, bho has a hell of a learning curve. I've been making bho for over a decade, wouldn't recommend you try it or any extract in your situation.

Green_256

What's a SIP?
guys I told yall safety us on point! we may as well be in a wind tunnel! trust me, you could smoke 5 ft away and be fine, obviously I'm not that stupid but just making a point!

no one will be blowing up. and just in case we have 2x 5 pounds bags of flower, and a brand new fire extinguisher on hand!