Anyone here experienced as a landrace sativa expert?

iShatterBladderz

Cannabis Connoisseur
Thinking of putting a tent in my flower room and trying a landrace sativa, preferably something from SE Asia. Anyone have some experience? I've done some reading and my mind wants to explode! I would like someone to guide me through this project.
I’ve never grown one myself, but when I was younger, I used to have to tend to the plants in my uncles grow house in Eugene, CA, and he used to have a landrace cut, it was something from Laos, I’m sure I’d butcher the name if I tried to remember it, but it was something like lewang prebang. Those plants would climb all the way up to the lights, almost like a vigorous vine. Crazy psychedelic high too

I’ve never grown one myself, but when I was younger, I used to have to tend to the plants in my uncles grow house in Eugene, CA, and he used to have a landrace cut, it was something from Laos, I’m sure I’d butcher the name if I tried to remember it, but it was something like lewang prebang. Those plants would climb all the way up to the lights, almost like a vigorous vine. Crazy psychedelic high too
Luang Prabang-city in Laos, so the strain likely was from that region or simply was just called that which means “Royal Buddha”.

Hey I was pretty close. Lol. Not bad seeing as how this was nearly 20 years ago. Are you Laotian by chance?
I knew exactly what you were talking about when you mentioned it. The phonetics were spot on...

No, I’m not Laotian. Just took some courses on the Vietnam War and Hmong history. Im familiar with the region and would love to visit except I hate long flights and stifling heat/humidity.

iShatterBladderz

Cannabis Connoisseur
I knew exactly what you were talking about when you mentioned it. The phonetics were spot on...

No, I’m not Laotian. Just took some courses on the Vietnam War and Hmong history. Im familiar with the region and would love to visit except I hate long flights and stifling heat/humidity.
It was a unique high, something you don’t often find in today’s hybridized strains. And I’m the same way, I use MMJ for my ADHD actually, a long flight like that would be miserable. If I could stand the flight, I would tour Europe like I’ve been saying I am going to for at least a decade now.

Vee

Ancient Member
Thinking of putting a tent in my flower room and trying a landrace sativa, preferably something from SE Asia. Anyone have some experience? I've done some reading and my mind wants to explode! I would like someone to guide me through this project.
Hmm thats me ...in the states I recomend chocoloupe or any Thai Sativa...as many strains of this genus are "Houstrained" also Thais generally have a very strong chocolate smell that will drive many close nuts ...lol

the western deal (Dutch) for many years has been to cross sativas with any kush(indicas) to speed up maturity and tolerance to cold weather and mold /bugs ....this is a true shame to land-racers like me

A lot of your success to grow sativas is your local climate if it ever snows at your place even indoors you may well struggle with size and temp.. spending very much to control those 2 issues

my favorite way of growing sativas is outdoors to about 12 feet any further then they will fall to mold in later months...do ensure if growing outdoors that the budding times is later summer or early fall..again to avoid the molds ...indeed you won't see 6 feet without a fight..best is 3-4 usg one month veg 2.5 months flower

good luck

GanjaSnake

I'm no expert by any means, but I have grown my share of pure sativas. My best advise is simply to veg for a long time and take cuts. Then flower the cuts. Every time I flower a seed plant it seems to stretch like crazy and if you don't have the vertical space to accommodate it turns out bad.

If you have any outdoor space, try planting it outdoors and let it grow till the end of summer, then take cuts to flower indoors. Use a scrog if needed to keep the canopy manageable. Also, be very careful of what you feed it, they tend to not like too much N. Once you have it tamed they are not hard at all.

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
Hmm thats me ...in the states I recomend chocoloupe or any Thai Sativa...as many strains of this genus are "Houstrained" also Thais generally have a very strong chocolate smell that will drive many close nuts ...lol

the western deal (Dutch) for many years has been to cross sativas with any kush(indicas) to speed up maturity and tolerance to cold weather and mold /bugs ....this is a true shame to land-racers like me

A lot of your success to grow sativas is your local climate if it ever snows at your place even indoors you may well struggle with size and temp.. spending very much to control those 2 issues

my favorite way of growing sativas is outdoors to about 12 feet any further then they will fall to mold in later months...do ensure if growing outdoors that the budding times is later summer or early fall..again to avoid the molds ...indeed you won't see 6 feet without a fight..best is 3-4 usg one month veg 2.5 months flower

good luck
Outside,
A person should try to light DEP sativas if you want them to show their "fullest potential" for your particular area or environment. It's hard to find a 100% landrace anywhere. GHS roamed the planet collecting genetics.
Arjan is who you need to talk to.

iShatterBladderz

Cannabis Connoisseur
This thread reminds me I have some seeds put back somewhere that are a landrace of some kind. A friend of mine from school, was one of those talking about how cryptocurrency was going to change the world back in like 2009, and bought a shitload of bitcoin not long after it came out. We all told him he was stupid for spending so much money on it, because this was back when it was just a novelty thing. Then bitcoin blew up, and he’s a millionaire who travels the world visiting impoverished countries and donating computers to schools. He found a patch of wild marijuana growing up in the mountains somewhere in Afghanistan and brought back some seeds. He said it looked like the plant was an indica, but beyond that I have no idea what they came from. Probably about 5 years old now but they’ve been kept cool and dry.