Any computer/tech heads here?

D

Deleted member 60

Lookin for some guidance if at all possible.....

Scenario: I noticed my puter was runnin a bit slower.....then it started to have issues bootin' up. Kinda figured it was goin south.

So i took it to the local shop. Yup...hard drive was crashing. Got em to snag my data and slap it onto a external usb hard drive. Hard drive was removed from the machine. Here I set.

I looked at new computers but wasn't impressed. Decided to try to fix this box. Bought a new Samsung SSD drive to try to get this up and running again. Should show today....

Problem/challenge: I'm not sure if my OS (Win10) rode along with the data on the D/L....and I don't have a product code/disc in hand for a relaunch if it didn't. They definitely didn't set me up with a relaunch disc/etc. to go forward with.

Getting the drive back in is a no brainer......but I'm unsure what will happen from there. I can (I suspect) simply buy a copy of Win10 to install and get things to go...though I really don't want to (still $100+).... I hear that when you buy a puter your # is stored at Microshaft and I might be able to reload it without buying it.......but again...i don;t have it or know how to access the info if it is out there.....

Anybody have a clue here on how to get this box up and running?

Armdog

RDWC GROWER

Scenario: I noticed my puter was runnin a bit slower.....then it started to have issues bootin' up. Kinda figured it was goin south.

So i took it to the local shop. Yup...hard drive was crashing. Got em to snag my data and slap it onto a external usb hard drive. Hard drive was removed from the machine. Here I set.

I looked at new computers but wasn't impressed. Decided to try to fix this box. Bought a new Samsung SSD drive to try to get this up and running again. Should show today....

Problem/challenge: I'm not sure if my OS (Win10) rode along with the data on the D/L....and I don't have a product code/disc in hand for a relaunch if it didn't. They definitely didn't set me up with a relaunch disc/etc. to go forward with.

Getting the drive back in is a no brainer......but I'm unsure what will happen from there. I can (I suspect) simply buy a copy of Win10 to install and get things to go...though I really don't want to (still $100+).... I hear that when you buy a puter your # is stored at Microshaft and I might be able to reload it without buying it.......but again...i don;t have it or know how to access the info if it is out there.....

I went to eBay and got a product key for under $10 for windows 10 professional. Had to download windows 10 to a usb drive . I build computers on the side and this has worked for me for a while. You can put the drive back in the computer and get a program that will retrieve your key. The program is called magical jelly bean. There are ways to get the key but you have to go through the command prompt. You will love the Samsung SSD drive. A lot faster than the old hard drives.

Armdog

RDWC GROWER
I went to eBay and got a product key for under $10 for windows 10 professional. Had to download windows 10 to a usb drive . I build computers on the side and this has worked for me for a while. You can put the drive back in the computer and get a program that will retrieve your key. The program is called magical jelly bean. There are ways to get the key but you have to go through the command prompt. You will love the Samsung SSD drive. A lot faster than the old hard drives.
Quickest way to upgrade a computer is to update the hard drive to ssd and more and faster memory.

Armdog

RDWC GROWER
Quickest way to upgrade a computer is to update the hard drive to ssd and more and faster memory.

I always run a tuneup utility on all my computers. It automatically gets rid of all the unnecessary junk and keeps it running good. Let’s face it hardly anyone cleans up their computer like they should. I run avast tuneup utility on all mine.

MtRainDog

Blümen Meister
Right, when you activate Windows, be it from a copy you bought, or an OEM install, your device ID is tied to your activation.

I would try downloading a Windows install to USB or disc, and install. If you can't activate, give MS Support a call to explain your situation, and they might just give you a new product key. I know this is how it worked in the past. Haven't had a hard drive shit the bed in many years, so it might be different now.

FYI I'm a Software engineer

MtRainDog

Blümen Meister
I've used Magic Jelly Bean in the past, and yes it can retrieve your key, but remember, it's your Key + Device ID that's important. the key alone might not allow you to activate without giving MS a call.

Prairiefarmer

Grower of mids
If i only was remotely close to you,i would have you up and running 👊 I was a puter tech for 9 yrs..i know a few things 😏

D

Deleted member 60

I wish you were closer...LOL. Fuckin shit. I should know better....

Got the drive in. Tried a buncha times to D/L the ISO file......finally figured out it was Fat32.....and needed NTFS....and my machine wouldn't change the format for shit. Tried the wife's machine....changed it right off the bat. (All new to me/took hours to research....LOL.) Got the ISO file to D/L to the flash drive....I think. Tried firing up......Got "OS may be corrupt".......then "No bootable Device detected".... "Press any fuckin key to reboot"...... yaddayaddayadda. I go into BIOS and can see the drive is there/installed/recognized.......so I dunno.

Anyways.....LOL.... spent all fuckin aftenoon in frustration mode/hittin walls.......so the box is back over in the corner so it doesn't end up gettin hurt....

Dunno whether to buy a win disc/put more $$$ into this or just buy a new fuckin computer and do the "live and learn" gig. Was tryin to keep more e-junk out of the landfill but it ain't workin' so good....

Saves em a dime to not give ya reboot/restore discs/etc with these machines like the old days...and makes it fuckin hard on the stupid when shit goes wrong.... I've read a lot of folks words who were damn frustrated today...LOL.....just like me.

Maybe this old, slow box isn't so bad after all....LOL. I saw one on ebay just like it for $12...... Remember Windows Vista? LOL

Armdog

RDWC GROWER
I've used Magic Jelly Bean in the past, and yes it can retrieve your key, but remember, it's your Key + Device ID that's important. the key alone might not allow you to activate without giving MS a call.
If it is used in the same computer without changing the cpu or motherboard it should work

Armdog

RDWC GROWER

Got the drive in. Tried a buncha times to D/L the ISO file......finally figured out it was Fat32.....and needed NTFS....and my machine wouldn't change the format for shit. Tried the wife's machine....changed it right off the bat. (All new to me/took hours to research....LOL.) Got the ISO file to D/L to the flash drive....I think. Tried firing up......Got "OS may be corrupt".......then "No bootable Device detected".... "Press any fuckin key to reboot"...... yaddayaddayadda. I go into BIOS and can see the drive is there/installed/recognized.......so I dunno.

Anyways.....LOL.... spent all fuckin aftenoon in frustration mode/hittin walls.......so the box is back over in the corner so it doesn't end up gettin hurt....

Dunno whether to buy a win disc/put more $$$ into this or just buy a new fuckin computer and do the "live and learn" gig. Was tryin to keep more e-junk out of the landfill but it ain't workin' so good....

Saves em a dime to not give ya reboot/restore discs/etc with these machines like the old days...and makes it fuckin hard on the stupid when shit goes wrong.... I've read a lot of folks words who were damn frustrated today...LOL.....just like me.

Maybe this old, slow box isn't so bad after all....LOL. I saw one on ebay just like it for $12...... Remember Windows Vista? LOL
Does your bios have a setting for usb boot. You might have to change the boot order in the bios. I always use boot to usb device. Easy to put the OS on a 16 gb USB stick.

Armdog

RDWC GROWER

If not you will have to burn the iso file to a disc. The only problem with that is the iso file is huge and cannot be burned onto a normal CD. I think I has to be dual layer disc.