Am I doing this right?

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
It's C4 from Fast Buds. It's my first grow so if I finish with anything I'll feel like it was a success. :)
Goal 1 - get it to harvest fairly healthy. The rest will follow. I think it looks good, except the focus part :)

Selective pruning early on can beef up bud size. I did a manifold with 4 tops. One I left everything on, and each of the others I pruned up a little more than the last. Taking away shoots (flower sites) from the lower parts of the limbs. At harvest each limb weighed more or less the same. More flower sites meant less overall bud size. The limb with the least lower junk on it was the fattest. But it all weighed the same.

baldmountain

Super Active Member
Goal 1 - get it to harvest fairly healthy. The rest will follow. I think it looks good, except the focus part :)

The limb with the least lower junk on it was the fattest. But it all weighed the same.
I left all the lower stuff on. Mostly to see for myself how things grow. The lower bud sites were tiny. One of the important things I learned is strip off all the lower stuff. This grow was all about learning and not worrying too much about yield or anything else.

And it made good sense and I agree.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Hell yeah it made perfect sense 👌
Maybe we just smoked the same strain 😂
Cool. I think one of the first hurdles for me to get over was making that final decision in pruning once they start to flower. Actually seeing flowers starting and chopping them off! OMG! :ROFLMAO:

I'm doing a bunch of random plain ol' plants right now, but just started a 4-top with all the pruning and training if you want to check out the process.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
For me - I have found that removing lower shoots once they start opening their second set of leaves is good timing. A single flower site is no problem. Once it starts on the next set of leaves, it also makes two new shoots.

Those are the energy-suck from the rest of the plant. If you leave them on you'll see them stretch try and to keep level with the rest of the tops. Plus making their own shoots.

So I do that throughout the veg and after flip, until I see pistils showing. About week 3 of flower I'll make the final cuts.

Edited: I also leave all the fan leaves on that I can in veg. Once it's in flower I'll start worrying about removing the fan leaves.

baldmountain

Super Active Member
That's some pretty good color for your first grow! Nice frost.
Those little nugs like that you can just leave alone and trim up the big stuff. The first pic was fine unless you are selling it, and I doubt you are.
Thanks!

Yeah, this is just for my wife and I. And it's go to know that I didn't have to trim everything off. It's smokable as is. I did trim it and put the trim in the freezer. At some point I'll try making hash once I've collected a bit more.