Aloe FPJ (Fermented Plant Juice)

J.James

Seed Slingin' Outlaw
Breeder
Aloe FPJ (Fermented Plant Juice)
FPJ is used in solutions for seed and soil treatments and plant nutrition. It consists of the young shoots of vigorously growing plants that are allowed to ferment for approximately 7 days with the aid of brown sugar. The brown sugar draws the juices out of the plant material via osmosis and also serves as a food source for the microbes carrying out the fermentation process. The weak alcohol produced during fermentation extracts chlorophyll (soluble in ethanol) and other plant components. It is non-toxic and edible. - Published by the College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources

Step One
I use the Pups that the aloe throws out every year to make my aloe FPJ. You want to harvest your aloe in the morning before the sun hits the plant and at least 3 days since the last rain. Sunlight and rain both affect the microbial populations on the outside of the plant and we want them to be at peak populations to insure this fermentation happens fast and with the correct bacteria. Try to knock off as much dirt and debris as possible but DO NOT WASH IT. We don't want to do anything to disturb the surface microbes.

P1130124.JPG

Step Two
We want to increase the service area so the microbes can do their thing. I remove the bottom roots and toss them into my worm bin or compost pile.

P1130126.JPG

Then use a knife or scissors to cut the aloe into pieces or strips no larger than 1/2 inch. (Wear Gloves)

P1130130.JPG

Step Three

You can use a glass container or a food-grade bucket for your fermentation process. When you have all your plant material cut and ready we will need to weigh it. You can do this before you start cutting if it is easier.

P1130131.JPG

My bucket weighs 1.6 lbs giving me roughly 5.6 lbs of aloe

P1130132.JPG

Step Four

Mix at a 1:1 ratio with sugar. I've seen people suggest Natural Brown Sugar & Brown Sugar. I use Turbinado Sugar or Raw Sugar and get good results. Stay away from processed white sugar and molasses.

P1130133.JPG

I will use 4 1/2 lbs to mix with the aloe being sure to coat as much of the aloe as I can

P1130137.JPG

Press the mix down to remove as much air as possible and then top the mix with 1 lb of sugar to make a cap so that I can not see any aloe sticking through the sugar. Use more sugar if needed to achieve this.

P1130138.JPG

Last edited:

J.James

Seed Slingin' Outlaw
Breeder
Step Five

Wipe down the outside of the container with vinegar to remove any sugar debris. Then cover the container with a breathable fabric or paper so that gases can escape but pests can't get in. For my bucket, I use a 5-gallon paint strainer and the lid. Be sure to label and date your container also.

P1130142.JPG

I leave one side of the lid not completely secure so that gasses can escape.

P1130148.JPG

Store your FPJ in a well-ventilated area away from artificial and natural light and extreme heat or cold. Do Not Refrigerate

Step Six

Check your FPJ after 24 hours to make sure nothing crazy is going on. It should look something like this

P1150149.JPG

Aloe FPJ can take 14+ days due to its water content, below is a suggested timeframe for most FPJ's from the University of Hawai‘i's study

"The fermentation process is dependent on the ambient temperature. warmer, humid weather speeds up fermentation (3 to 5 days), while cool or cold periods slow the process. You will know that fermentation is occurring when bubbles start to form, which normally occurs on the second day. Ideally, fermentation should take no longer than 7 days, as the quality of FPJ appears to diminish thereafter. Fermentation is complete when
1) the plant material floats and the liquid settles at the bottom (note: if too much brown sugar was used, this separation is not distinct)
2) there is a light alcohol smell due to the breakdown of chlorophyll
3) the liquid tastes sweet, not bitter."

Reference Park, H. and M.W. DuPonte. 2008 (rev. 2010). How to cultivate indigenous microorganisms. BIO-9. University of Hawai‘i, College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources, Honolulu, HI.

https://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/sa-7.pdf

J.James

Seed Slingin' Outlaw
Breeder
After 7 days of fermentation
P1200233.JPG P1200234.JPG

After 11 days of Fermentation
P1240344.JPG P1240345.JPG
The bucket is still bubbling but is starting to give off a totally different smell now, I would compare it to a can of spaghetti O's. Remember we are cultivating life, If we wait too long the liquid will only be byproducts and not living. I will go ahead and harvest this batch of aloe

I use a mesh strainer lined with a few layers of unbleached cheesecloth and slowly pour the liquid through removing all of the plant material. I would like to note at this point that I did not remove the aloin from the aloe. The aloin is the yellowish sap that smelled so bad when we first cut the aloe up into little pieces. It is very bitter and can cause an upset stomach in some individuals so this FPJ in my opinion is not suitable for human consumption.
P1240347.JPG P1240348.JPG

Once the liquid has been strained it can be used but should be kept in a breathable container in the refrigerator away from light
P1240359.JPG

You can also mix the liquid 50/50 by weight with brown natural sugar for long-term storage that shelf-stable. I would still use a breathable lid or keep the cap loose so gasses can escape. I do this in the original bucket after it's been washed and dried. I will add 8 lbs of sugar to mine and replace the cap and wait 48 hours to see if any bubbles are forming on the top. A clear indication that the microbes are still active.

Usage rates for plant stages are covered below

J.James

Seed Slingin' Outlaw
Breeder
fig2.jpgFig1.jpg
fig3.jpg

Here are usage amounts for each stage of growth of the finished extracted liquid

For Clones

1 ml/gallon of Fermented Aloe with recommended for foliar application only. Apply during periods of darkness only.

For Seedlings

1 ml/gallon of Fermented Aloe applied via foliar application once a week while lights are off. 1 ml/gallon as a root drench once every other watering.

For Plants in Vegetation

5 ml/gallon of Fermented Aloe applied via foliar application once a week while lights are off and apply 5 ml/gallon via root drench once every other watering.

For Plants in Flower

During the first week of flowering only continue with the 5 ml/gallon of Fermented Aloe applied via foliar application once a week while lights are off. Continue root drench feedings of 5 ml/gallon aloe, threw the first half of flowering.

J.James

Seed Slingin' Outlaw
Breeder
I had about 1 cup of undissolved sugar at the bottom of the bucket when I went to stir it up, Which tells me that we have sugar saturation so I will layer up some cheesecloth in the strainer to remove the access sugar and this will be shelf-stable for storage. I use a few gallon glass wine jugs and leave the cap loose just in case.
P1270435.JPG

I have also bottled up a few 8 oz bottles to send out to people who wanna try it.

P1270432.JPG

Dis39

Really Active Member
I had about 1 cup of undissolved sugar at the bottom of the bucket when I went to stir it up, Which tells me that we have sugar saturation so I will layer up some cheesecloth in the strainer to remove the access sugar and this will be shelf-stable for storage. I use a few gallon glass wine jugs and leave the cap loose just in case.
View attachment 82673

I have also bottled up a few 8 oz bottles to send out to people who wanna try it.

View attachment 82672
Id like to check it out. Started saving my egg shells for the WCA.

Dis39

Really Active Member
I'll set some aside for you and send you a bottle of WCA and shelf-stable LAB to get you started.
Excellent, thank you. I just split the pups off my aloe and transplanted them to start amassing enough aloe to try your recipe without wiping out my plant. I tried to make LAB last year and failed. After reading your much more thorough walk through I was thinking about trying it again. Can I use your LAB to introduce and multiply the cultures or would I be better served starting a fresh batch?

J.James

Seed Slingin' Outlaw
Breeder
I think you are better served by cultivating your own batch of locally active microbes but to answer your question, Yes you can use the serum to make more LAB.

Gweedo

PICK YOUR OWN
Great info sir I'm still learning but had assumed these types of things were use immediately type deals, but clearly that's not the case, thanks for dropping that knowledge bomb in me