All right I know this topic has been done to death .. What are y’all doing for long term storage ?

Bud Jones

Really Active Member
So I’m in a situation , not a bad one . I got gifted some packs I can’t necessarily use this year , a few are rare .. I’ve always frozen beans and used rice and desiccant in a duct taped old pill bottle . I’ve had mixed results with this , I’m open to insight on what’s worked well for y’all . Some swear by refrigeration , I’ve heard the fridge has too much moisture . Let’s hear em and thx in advance .

Turpman

PICK YOUR OWN
I'm guessing refrigeration or freezing is good but the defrost feature causing temperature fluctuations may not be good.
I have read of people storing Mycelium in the freezer in glycerin and most will put their containers in a container with a bunch of freeze packs to prevent temp. fluctuations. May be the same for seed maybe @Schwaggy P or @HydroRed have some good advice.

I have mine in a jar in the fridge. Most in the packs they came in.

Bud Jones

Really Active Member
I'm guessing refrigeration or freezing is good but the defrost feature causing temperature fluctuations may not be good.
I have read of people storing Mycelium in the freezer in glycerin and most will put their containers in a container with a bunch of freeze packs to prevent temp. fluctuations. May be the same for seed maybe @Schwaggy P or @HydroRed have some good advice.

I have mine in a jar in the fridge. Most in the packs they came in.
Same but I wonder about the balance between overdrying in a fridge with desiccant or having to much moisture in the fridge ya know ?

Bud Jones

Really Active Member
This is my technique, quart size mason jar with 2 dessicant packs in the crisper drawer. Just popped some dinoberry bites, 5/6 in under 24 hours.
For short term this seems like the universal method . For long term maybe freezing ? Would be interesting to experiment with a control group of throw away beans to find the verdict .. I’m fairly certain this has been done somewhere lol .

sandman83

Super Active Member
For short term this seems like the universal method . For long term maybe freezing ? Would be interesting to experiment with a control group of throw away beans to find the verdict .. I’m fairly certain this has been done somewhere lol .
yeah my long term definitely needs work as my genetics from awhile ago were all dead =( hurt to toss the mosca c99 and reorder. I narrowed it down to a move where the box was left in a 100f garage for 6 months...no wonder they were dead.

Ziplock baggies/freezer bags and large Tupperware/mason jars. Most are sealed breeder packs...but the loose beans are stored with desiccant. I just keep them in a basement room. Stays cool/mostly dark with a low rH.

JohnFonda

Tegrity Greenthumb
I think keeping a good balance and not going overboard on anything will do you best. In a ziplock in room in the house can last many many years. I feel like the viability will only be hurt by extremes and large fluctuations and ovcourse time. Over time anything will degrade and a embryo in a seed whether at 40°f or 70 doesn't seem much different to me. Is there any science behind this?

sfrigon1

Seed Aficionado
I think keeping a good balance and not going overboard on anything will do you best. In a ziplock in room in the house can last many many years. I feel like the viability will only be hurt by extremes and large fluctuations and ovcourse time. Over time anything will degrade and a embryo in a seed whether at 40°f or 70 doesn't seem much different to me. Is there any science behind this?
Agreed , whether u keep in fridge or like me a cool ,dark dry place . Leave it there . I personally would never refrig but some friends do it and says it works . I just don't like the idea of any fluctuations.