Air Layering/Grafting

Erick31876

Solo cup champion 2019
Awesome... this is very interesting. Were youbable to find the video @The knight of green oakes ? It looks like it would work great on thicker stems. Im going to make one in a day or 2 when i defoliate my plants, i just have to find some of the same size, i could make one now with a pineapple Express clone and graft my tomahawk #2 plant to it, but the only spot i can put it would be on the very top. So then the main stem would be pineapple Express up to the top and then it would be tomahawk. Once the lower nodes grow out they would all be pineapple Express. I might just do that to see how it works. I have a lot of them but they all are still small except for the ones i just flipped to flower.

Erick31876

Solo cup champion 2019
Well last night i was in my shed up potting some clones when i bumped into my tomahawk # 1 plant , breaking off one of the tops, so i figured this would be the perfect timw to try out grafting. I found a similar size branch on my black domina plant and grafted it to the broken branch on the tomahawk plant and stuck the tomahawk branch in the cloner machine. 20190501_130944.jpg
Here it is sittimg in the graft.
20190501_131649.jpg
Here is the completed graft. I guess we will see in about a week if it took.

pleasecheese

Really Active Member
well guys i should have left the bag with soil on. turns out it is a pain in the ass to keep the riot plugs moist while they are in the growroom. they dry out multiple times a day and it has caused major delay in the rooting of the clones. It is wierd because the plant is growing just fine and there are huge calluses in the plugs but it has been 2.5 weeks and no roots poking through, the callus just keeps swelling. My impatience did not help i should have left the bag with soil because the callus was very healthy and white i probably would have had roots by now through the soil. Live and learn. im probably going to rewrap them in a bag w/soil it was much easier to keep that moist. nice to have a big mother plant to experiment on

pleasecheese

Really Active Member
Well last night i was in my shed up potting some clones when i bumped into my tomahawk # 1 plant , breaking off one of the tops, so i figured this would be the perfect timw to try out grafting. I found a similar size branch on my black domina plant and grafted it to the broken branch on the tomahawk plant and stuck the tomahawk branch in the cloner machine.
how did this work out. did it survive

pleasecheese

Really Active Member
you may want to look into it a bit more its not quiet as simple as cutting one and sticking it in the other. youtube has some good vids on grating fruit trees. ill see if i can find one when i have some time. either way great job its all about experimenting

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
looks like I spoke too soon. when i went to remove the plugs I had roots.!! snipped them and planted. we will see if they take
You should try a restriction, like a twisted wire on the supply side. Once it sees a crimp in the food supply it will lay down some roots looking. Watched my uncle make many rhododendrons over the years...long time ago. He layered them right into pots as opposed to air layering and he always put a twisty on the supply side.

Nice project!

pleasecheese

Really Active Member
You should try a restriction, like a twisted wire on the supply side. Once it sees a crimp in the food supply it will lay down some roots looking. Watched my uncle make many rhododendrons over the years...long time ago. He layered them right into pots as opposed to air layering and he always put a twisty on the supply side.

Nice project!
Thank you for this. So you are saying to use a twist tie underneath the plug to restrict food supply. I will definitely try this. The aloe had formed a really nice white callus. I messed it up by interrfering. Cost me about a week and a half of time. FORGIVE ME if this is a stupid question but what do you mean by layering them right into pots?.

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
OK, keep in mind I was somewhat of slave labor, fetch and step man at the time and I really didn't care much about the "technicality" of what was going on with his operation but as I remember it...
Yes, he put a twist tie on supply side of every branch he wanted to layer to get them to make roots sooner. He had a whole array of pots and crates and pots with the sides lowered or cut out to be able to adjust to different heights of the donor.
He scraped the underside of a branch, dusted it with some type of powder, and buried that right in the pot, yet still attached to the donor branch. Then he put a wire on the supply side. After some time's passed, I'm not sure exactly when, he would cut it off, then grow it a bit and then re-pot it into a normal pot.
Pretty close in concept to air layering, just doing it right in the pot.