Air Layering/Grafting

pleasecheese

Really Active Member
UPDATE, Its been a week and I wanted to see the progress so I opened it all up and there was a beautiful white callus where I scarped and applied fillet of aloe vera. I got to thinking and decided that the bag and soil was not necessary. so I cut a root riot plug in half and wrapped it around the callus. Roots should poke through any day. I really like this method for cloning and going forward I will be taking all my clones like this. But instead of the bag I will just cut a plug, trim/scrape node, apply root hormone and wrap plug with plastic. you can see some of the callus in the picture. Roots should be out any day. I think I would have got roots faster if I would have started with the new method. live and learnupdate1.jpg

Erick31876

Solo cup champion 2019
What your doing isnt grafting , but taking a clone ?. It looks like your basically taking a clone , getting it to root on the pkant , and then cutting it off , am i right? Pretty cool idea... you can just continue to grow the plant as normal and cut it off when it has the roots. I might have to give it a try

pleasecheese

Really Active Member
I am interested in the grafting also. I just ordered tjis grafting tool that i saw on facebook, it cuts like a tongue and groove looking thing in the stem and you just put them together and tape it up. Ill load pictures of it here when it gets delivered
thanks for the tool idea. didn't know there was one. that one cuts a "v" shape which would probably work the same, or better who knows? cant wait to try...

pleasecheese

Really Active Member
I really like wht u hav done here n im going t hav a play now i think 👍 good little project. I read about it about 5 yr ago but never bothered nice work
thanks for the kind words. Lots of benefits to cloning this way. kind of hard to tell by the picture but there are a couple of them on that plant, I was experimenting with different rooting hormones. (clonex, roottech, and just root powder) curious to see which roots fastest, since all other variables will be the same.

LoudPacks420

Grand Master Grower
thanks for the kind words. Lots of benefits to cloning this way. kind of hard to tell by the picture but there are a couple of them on that plant, I was experimenting with different rooting hormones. (clonex, roottech, and just root powder) curious to see which roots fastest, since all other variables will be the same.
Let us kno wich one worked best 👍

I,v seen vids on utube with the guys at kiwi seeds who had 4/5 different strains grafted onto one plant.it was pretty cool.its a good way to keep cuts of multiple strains on one mother plant.you just need to label were each strains grafted on so u know which strains which.
They had even flowered one with about 4 different strains grafted to one plant.all the resulting buds grew and turned out like they normally would.it was pretty cool.
Never tried it myself though.

pleasecheese

Really Active Member
I,v seen vids on utube with the guys at kiwi seeds who had 4/5 different strains grafted onto one plant.it was pretty cool.its a good way to keep cuts of multiple strains on one mother plant.you just need to label were each strains grafted on so u know which strains which.
They had even flowered one with about 4 different strains grafted to one plant.all the resulting buds grew and turned out like they normally would.it was pretty cool.
Never tried it myself though.
that is exactly what I am planning. just takes time because each graft has to be pretty thick at least 1/4".

Erick31876

Solo cup champion 2019
I wonder if the grafted branch picks up any of the traits of the parent plant. I might try this on one of my smaller pineapple Express clones. I have a binch of them , they woild be perfect for a experement. And i just took some cuttings of my tomahwk #1,2 plants that i know are female. Im gonna give it a try. Ill post pics of it tonight when i get home and make the graft.

There is a video on youtube of the tool. Look up innovative grafting tool. It shows you how it works
Who u callin a tool?
I wonder if the grafted branch picks up any of the traits of the parent plant. I might try this on one of my smaller pineapple Express clones. I have a binch of them , they woild be perfect for a experement. And i just took some cuttings of my tomahwk #1,2 plants that i know are female. Im gonna give it a try. Ill post pics of it tonight when i get home and make the graft.
No it doesn't.the grafts attached don't pick up any traits from the mother plant they'r attached too.they just grow and come out just like they would if the grafts had just grown on the original plant they came from in the first place.for example if u grafted a branch of cheese to a stem and root ball of haze it would still come out as cheese with zero traits from the haze.the plant with the roots only supplies the nutrients the graft needs,it doesn't Change the grafted strain in anyway.