Air intake design.

JohnFonda

Tegrity Greenthumb
So I pretty much just been using filters over a cardboard box, leading to duct into the intake. This give a larger surface area and less resistance for the filtered air to come through. However getting the matching boxes to filters is difficult and its tacky. Anyone got any simple designs or comments to construct a good air intake for a tent. Usually run both intakes with filter boxes on them.

MtRainDog

Blümen Meister
When you say filters, are you referring to air return filters like for an hvac system?

Flow dynamics can be extremely complicated, but I'm not sure the resistance at your 6" ducting is any different whether it's pulling from your filter box vs. making a 6" circular filter to fit into your ducting.

My assumption would be with the fan set to the same power level, you'll have a weaker draw across the surface area of the square filter vs. if it were inside the ducting. The advantage of your filter box is probably limited to changing the filter less frequently. Once air is in the ducting, there should be no difference in air flow.

Less frequent filter change vs. less ugly

JohnFonda

Tegrity Greenthumb
When you say filters, are you referring to air return filters like for an hvac system?

Flow dynamics can be extremely complicated, but I'm not sure the resistance at your 6" ducting is any different whether it's pulling from your filter box vs. making a 6" circular filter to fit into your ducting.

My assumption would be with the fan set to the same power level, you'll have a weaker draw across the surface area of the square filter vs. if it were inside the ducting. The advantage of your filter box is probably limited to changing the filter less frequently. Once air is in the ducting, there should be no difference in air flow.

Less frequent filter change vs. less ugly
Yea hvac filters. Spreading the resistance over a larger surface area and also having a plenum makes it easier to pull air in from my understanding. Also depends on what type of filter. I like to use at least merv 8. A cheap seethrough one I imagine wouldnt matter the size but when dealing with resistance the more area for the air to flow the better I would think. I was thinking of using a hvac intake box and screen but that is money. Maybe have to build a plywood version that's permanent and cleanable.

JohnFonda

Tegrity Greenthumb
View attachment 74897
This plus a 12" to 6" adapter isn't going to break the bank. Don't think you'll find a cleaner option.
Yea I just found that bad boy myself. All the ones I was seeing was in the 100 zone a piece. Was thinking that or two 6 inch duct flanges bolted together with a filter in between. These for the win though ! Plus not having to build shit is a big plus.

JohnFonda

Tegrity Greenthumb
My air intake is an opening (or several openings) at the bottom of the tent. The tent came that way.

Are you running an intake for fresh air from outside the house?
Yea I have them too but if you see the amount of dust etc that comes through those holes you might make one yourself.

JohnFonda

Tegrity Greenthumb
I just mounted louvred vent caps in the round intake ports and stretch pantyhose over them. It’s pretty impressive how much dust the pantyhose catches. Definitely not hepa level, though, if that’s what you are after..
That's what I typically do. Had to go ultra stealth last time and got mold from ventilation issues most likely. I'm not fucking around anymore and losing anything else.

Burned Haze

Really Active Member

this brand makes sizes up to 14 inches or 16 inches ( I have 14 so I know they def have that ) but they sell smaller sizes too like 6 inches as well. Coo thing about this “ greenhouse hepa” is its washable and can capture 90% as long as you wash it every 2-3 months with just water, no oil needed ( god I hate oiling them, plus extra cash and hassle )

i have “shroom” filters but they require oil and this def works better, and funny thing is they are th2e same price. It’s super well built and the holder ring for it to be tighten onto the ducting is great . If you make a little shed or have it semi indoors I bet it will last forever

JohnFonda

Tegrity Greenthumb

this brand makes sizes up to 14 inches or 16 inches ( I have 14 so I know they def have that ) but they sell smaller sizes too like 6 inches as well. Coo thing about this “ greenhouse hepa” is its washable and can capture 90% as long as you wash it every 2-3 months with just water, no oil needed ( god I hate oiling them, plus extra cash and hassle )

i have “shroom” filters but they require oil and this def works better, and funny thing is they are th2e same price. It’s super well built and the holder ring for it to be tighten onto the ducting is great . If you make a little shed or have it semi indoors I bet it will last forever
I'd imagine you would need 2 to pull the proper amount of air into a tent. Little too pricey for my taste right now. Especially for a potential auto filter markup

lakegrow

PICK YOUR OWN
LOL I am really cheap I just use two lengths of 6 inch vent pipe run through the tent holes and stretch the bottom of my wifes panty hose over the vent pipe on the outside end which strains out most all the dust quite well in fact have to vacuum now and again to clear them.

JohnFonda

Tegrity Greenthumb
LOL I am really cheap I just use two lengths of 6 inch vent pipe run through the tent holes and stretch the bottom of my wifes panty hose over the vent pipe on the outside end which strains out most all the dust quite well in fact have to vacuum now and again to clear them.
It's my usual technique but I'm pulling out any stops I can this next time. Lost over a p last time and its upsetting to say the least when you have no reserve tank.

Vee

Ancient Member
So I pretty much just been using filters over a cardboard box, leading to duct into the intake. This give a larger surface area and less resistance for the filtered air to come through. However getting the matching boxes to filters is difficult and its tacky. Anyone got any simple designs or comments to construct a good air intake for a tent. Usually run both intakes with filter boxes on them.
I'm currently using a new air filter to fit a recent Honda,
but prefer those green pot washers you get that are rough, easy to clean too

but generally I'm naked ...lol

I built a wooden box with a duct take off on it and made a slot for a 16x20 furnace filter. I would get better pics but it’s in a corner 9045C6E1-FD45-4B49-BE50-E65BDBBF0F94.jpeg