Ab drivers help jaboy please

JohnFonda

Tegrity Greenthumb
So losing my shit. Tried using a killawatt to guide in the amps. Set at 2.1 just cause i figured that would be safe and used the volts to bring it to desired watts. Thing got hot af to where I couldn't keep my hand on it and climbed to 2.6 amps. I wasnt thinking that 2.1 is ac not dc so It was probably way high.

When you measure the amps in parallel do you half that to figure out the amps 2 each board or will the circuit show what's being delivered to each board. Say it says 3 amps dc. Will each board be getting 3 amps or 1.5?
Should be getting my clamp meter here soon mail pending. Till then any way I can set these things safely? Set wattage with the current and tune voltage down till the wattage dips to find the proper voltage x watts ? What to do with the extra pot and how to use it without adjusting the others #lost. Ledgardner said set the current then adjust voltage but that was 1 board and probably just for saftey purposes preventing runaway which is irrelevant for 2 .

So its 2 288 v2s with a hlg 240h 48ab in parallel . I've Only used a type cc in series so I'm head scratching a bit. Shits probably way simpler than I'm making it but I dont wanna fry my boards or myself. Thanks chuckers I will take any good advice .

Last edited:

JohnFonda

Tegrity Greenthumb
Out of my depth friend, but I hope you find your answer quickly, and safely!
Damn had me all excited I thought this headache was over lol. Thanks for the prayers. These things are hard to cook so I imagine I didnt hurt her at all just domt want to leave it like that when I'm away and have it cook the home. The 240 ab pulls almost 300 watts at the wall full blast and it was up near 210 after I set it at 150 watts. Pretty big climb really quick. It did settle there but something seemed off. Maybe I'm just used to driving these alot softer.

Dis39

Really Active Member
Damn had me all excited I thought this headache was over lol. Thanks for the prayers. These things are hard to cook so I imagine I didnt hurt her at all just domt want to leave it like that when I'm away and have it cook the home. The 240 ab pulls almost 300 watts at the wall full blast and it was up near 210 after I set it at 150 watts. Pretty big climb really quick. It did settle there but something seemed off. Maybe I'm just used to driving these alot softer.
Heh, I was worried Id get your hopes up, just trying to help you get a little more traffic and exposure, hang in there friend.

Edit: What are your ambient temps? Could that be skewing your thermal data?

JohnFonda

Tegrity Greenthumb
Thanks for the tag. Hard to find this info anywhere. It's pretty much like setting a A type driver. I could do away with the external pot if needed

lakegrow

PICK YOUR OWN
usually in parallel amperage stays constant so if it says 2 amps it is 2 amps across the multiple boards. In series amperage drops and voltage is constant

JohnFonda

Tegrity Greenthumb
usually in parallel amperage stays constant so if it says 2 amps it is 2 amps across the multiple boards. In series amperage drops and voltage is constant
Think you got this backwards. I'm mainly looking for the proper way to adjust the pots.

JohnFonda

Tegrity Greenthumb
With this mentioned though for example the board are 2800 max current. Should I be pushing 5.6 amps from the driver that seems like alot or if its reading 2.8 amps out of the driver is that what's flowing through the boards in parallel. If you had 4 amps to one board then you add another each board should only be getting 2 amps. Idk if it shows 4 out the driver and then 2 at the point of connection at the boards or just 2 all the way through.

JohnFonda

Tegrity Greenthumb
Thinking if I just put it at 48 volts and use the current to adjust I should be golden. I figured that would push too much if the current was limited but from my understanding this is exactly how the b type drivers run

JohnFonda

Tegrity Greenthumb
So I got her sorted I'm pretty sure any tips tricks are appreciated though. I didnt know the drivers were so complex and make life simple for you. I figured the boards would receive whatever you give them and didnt realize they only draw what they need etc. like most electronics. Figured I'll set at 48 volts. Set my current where I want the watts and then drop the voltage till the watts drop. Not sure if the last step is even needed though as the driver will only give the volts needed once the max allowed current is reached. Any advice on why or why not to do this ? . That being said if I grabbed 36 volt board like the 120s could i use this driver and turn the volts down to 36 and make sure I dont max the current?

Last edited:

JohnFonda

Tegrity Greenthumb
Blowing my own thread up but for future people in this scenario. When wired with a wago in parallel meaning the main lead from the driver is spit to multiple leads that go to each individual board the wire from the driver to the wago will be let's say 6 amps. If split to three boards then every wire running to the board connectors will only be pulling 2 amps. So it depends on where you connect when determining you amperage to your boards. The voltage will remain constant. Just gotta wait on my meter cause I'm sure this 48 volt driver will probably push more than its rated. Meanwell is good like that.

lakegrow

PICK YOUR OWN
Durn you are correct my bad for sure. I was thinking about led flashlights and how some triple boards react and now realize the boards are wired in parallel so you are correct. Not enough coffee

Turpman

PICK YOUR OWN
Set your volts and leave it. Use the amp. Knob to adjust the wattage.
Hook your amp meter in series with the dc output. Then divide the amperage with how many lights your running in parallel. If your series then the amperage is what’s running through each one. You can do the same with checking the AC side you just have to subtract efficiency %.

TerpyTyrone

LED Recruiter
So losing my shit. Tried using a killawatt to guide in the amps. Set at 2.1 just cause i figured that would be safe and used the volts to bring it to desired watts. Thing got hot af to where I couldn't keep my hand on it and climbed to 2.6 amps. I wasnt thinking that 2.1 is ac not dc so It was probably way high.

When you measure the amps in parallel do you half that to figure out the amps 2 each board or will the circuit show what's being delivered to each board. Say it says 3 amps dc. Will each board be getting 3 amps or 1.5?
Should be getting my clamp meter here soon mail pending. Till then any way I can set these things safely? Set wattage with the current and tune voltage down till the wattage dips to find the proper voltage x watts ? What to do with the extra pot and how to use it without adjusting the others #lost. Ledgardner said set the current then adjust voltage but that was 1 board and probably just for saftey purposes preventing runaway which is irrelevant for 2 .

So its 2 288 v2s with a hlg 240h 48ab in parallel . I've Only used a type cc in series so I'm head scratching a bit. Shits probably way simpler than I'm making it but I dont wanna fry my boards or myself. Thanks chuckers I will take any good advice .
Put em in series.
CV drivers provide a certain overall voltage. That is achieved through series. I'm not sure why...