A Rosin Press Thread

baldmountain

Super Active Member
Hi All, It's been a while.

My family got me a rosing press (Dabpress 6 ton w/ 3x5 plates) for my birthday and I'd thought I'd share some experiences so far and get some feedback on things I could do better. I'm just pressing flower since I don't have the drive to make hash first. Here is a pressed bud of Banana Hash Plant form Country Line. (It presses reasonably well. Although I may have used a little too much pressure.) The bud was pressed at 190 °F for 60 seconds with 30 seconds ramp on pressure.

press.jpg

I store in little silicone containers from Kandypens since they are like a dollar each.

I find that pressing a bud in parchment paper seems to work better than bags. Too much of the rosin ends up in the bag rather than pressed out on the parchment.

After the press I put the parchment in the freezer so getting the rosin off the parchment is easier. I plan on getting a cooling plate to make cooling the rosin easier.

I tried a big press (7 grams) in a 2x4 120µ 2x4" bag (from dabpress) I used a form to make a rectangular puck but it ended up falling apart since the seam of the bag was in the way. I pressed at 180 °F for 90 seconds and the yield was 0.11 grams. (1.5%) Yikes! I folded the bag and squeezed it a second time and got a bit more out. Some of the issue is the strain does not press well, but I feel like too much rosin was still in the bag itself.

Label your containers. You will not remember what strain is in what container.

Bud that is a bit over dry does not press well.

Strains that press well: Copper Chem from Greenpoint and Banana Hash Plant from Country Line Genetics. Strains that don't press so well: Oregon Lemons from Archive Seed Bank.

I'd be interested in how other folks press and what they find works best.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I have the nugsmasher mini with 2"x2" plates. very compact and can only use the bags vertical, but if you get a puck-press you can keep a bigger stack of nugs contained for a press with just parchment. Dabpress makes three different sizes for larger round pucks than the regular dime-size kief presses you see on amazon.

I'm new at this but so far I like a flat-tip X-acto blade as a collector. You can roll the stuff off the blade onto a silicone sheet or the parchment. The silicone sheets make a great collecter tool. you can wipe stuff all over one of those 3x5 sheets then mush it all together and roll it into a ball without ever putting on gloves.

@J.James recommended 200F for 2 minutes as a starting point for most things and I have had great sucess just leaving it there

madouesse

Terps are like a very strong solvent .
I pressed out some rosin a while back , stored some in one of those silicone containers that snap together in my beer, hash and rosin fridge .
4 months later the terp smells are gone and the white silicone has started to get darker in color .
I can open a glass jar of 2 year old bbl hash that has all the terps .

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
For example

Look at the warning placards .
Amazon.com: 50 pcs - 5ml Polystyrene Concentrate Container w/Silicone Insert (Ultra Clear Silicone Insert): Home & Kitchen
1671150440337.png
I found these that have cheap-ass polycarb containers, but with a food-grade silicone insert.
Perfect for home use, would NOT travel well, the lid is not silicone and stuff will stick.
The inserts might eventyallu absorb something or degrade - they're disposable-ish.
Also, there's no dies or anything. Discoloration is immediately apparent if it happens.

I am not sure what 'grade' a lot of those Chinese bulk silicone thingy's are. Even the American companies are buying them from over there. But every die or whatever they add to it is basically an impurity at some molecular level.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I almost bought one but then quickly realized I need a stash first.
For us newbs as far as dabbng goes. a little goes a long way. One decent size nug is a few dabs. Depending on what your goal is it's great for "special occasions" if nothing else.

Something I have been thinking about recently regarding a lot of larger purchases - shit ain't getting cheaper. This holiday sales season might be the best prices we'll see on ______ for a long time.

baldmountain

Super Active Member
I'll take that advice. Ordered some small glass jars from Amazon.

That cannagar is nuts!

I just need a more practical way to store what I grow longer term. It's just my wife and I and we don't smoke that much flower that fast.

1oldfart

Insanely Active Member
Any of you all ever pressed fresh flower? I made rosin today with flower that's been hanging about 3 days. It's not bad.
Pressing purple flower, you'll get purple rosin. lol
sounds like sombody is building a stash,with different terp profiles!i need to step up my game.who sells a controller with heated plates ,i have the h press covered.