A question about sexing cannabis...

LordKoos

Springtime!!! :cool:
seedlings.JPG

I usually grow feminized plants or fems from clones but this year I decided I wanted some males to do some chucking. This is a mixed grow of several different strains. Just wondered if any of you guys have tried-and-true methods of determining sex earlier in the process? (Obviously, not as early as this pic!) From here these starts will go into intermediate sized containers, I'm hoping to determine male & female before I have to transplant them into the big pots (5 gal).

Big Perm

Budtender
IMO the fastest way to tell is to grow them 12/12 from seed to find the sexes. With that many plants you could pull off a pretty sweet 12/12 from seed grow.
I don't know your setup, just sayin'.

Edit: I usually run fems or clones, too. You could sex fast, cull the males you don't want. As a female shows pull it out and clone it. Once you have the males, get the pollen and kill them off. Then take your clones and run them, pollinating them with the pollen you have. I'd run the clones 10/14 from start to harvest.
That's about the quickest turn around on some home made gear.

Last edited:

Heisen

Dont Need One
Admin
Theyll show when they ready. 12 12 won't speed up the process of maturity but it does give you a faster finish because your slowing it down limiting light. Plant will tell you when it's ready. I've had some take 5 weeks to show

LordKoos

Big Perm, seems like waiting and then cloning fems would slow me down more than just waiting for them to show... I just don't want to have to transplant them into large pots and waste a lot of resources before I know. Previously I have done this and was able to spot males before switching to the 5 gallon pots, but that was with a strain that showed the sex pretty quickly. What I do when it's warm enough is to put the males outside to finish separate from the indoor grow.

Big Perm

Budtender
Big Perm, seems like waiting and then cloning fems would slow me down more than just waiting for them to show... I just don't want to have to transplant them into large pots and waste a lot of resources before I know. Previously I have done this and was able to spot males before switching to the 5 gallon pots, but that was with a strain that showed the sex pretty quickly. What I do when it's warm enough is to put the males outside to finish separate from the indoor grow.
I agree, it would take some planning out.
Check out this 10/14 from clone grow I did.

Just throwing out options and opinions. You could also toss all of the males, keep your favorite females, reverse them and make fems.
Just wondered if any of you guys have tried-and-true methods of determining sex earlier in the process?
What I was saying about 12/12 from seed is they will sex as soon as they can.

LordKoos

You have a far different setup than my old-school thing. It looks very efficient. I use a 600w MH until they get a little bigger then have two basement rooms for flowering with 1000w HPS bulbs in each. I grow with a soil mix that contains nutrients and also feed them a little. I normally end up with about 18-20 4-5 foot plants flowering. I'm growing a year's supply for four people, sometimes I need to do another small indoor grow later in the year as well.

I agree, it would take some planning out.
Check out this 10/14 from clone grow I did.

Just throwing out options and opinions. You could also toss all of the males, keep your favorite females, reverse them and make fems.

What I was saying about 12/12 from seed is they will sex as soon as they can.