A plant that just won't grow in hydro

Greenthumbskunk

PICK YOUR OWN
I already figured out the problem with this plant. There is two plants in this tent both of them were identical size and both are the same plant. The small plant is starting to finally grow after I fixed the problem as you can see by the few stems starting to stretch.

Take a guess what the problem was.

IMG_20190429_135748.jpgIMG_20190429_135800.jpg

Greenthumbskunk

PICK YOUR OWN
Nope. But you guys had some pretty good guesses. Sounds like you all speak from experience lol. I've experienced all those myself, from water pump getting clogged with roots to forgetting to flip the lights on.

This is one of my 7 2x4 tents I also flower in along my main flower room.

The air line was partly plugged in the manifold and barely getting enough air to make any bubbles at all.
Thought the stone was plugged, changed it nothing. Still not many bubbles. Then went to the air pump and and took that buckets hose off and barely had any air coming from it's outlet. I turned off all the rest of the outlets and it still would barely trickle air out.

I have sat a bucket down on the air line cutting off air totally and the plant would be wilted in 2 days with dead roots.
At first I thought it was not enough light or a fungus, did water changes, flushes etc took about a week until I figured it out as no progress day by day.

Last edited:

Heisen

Dont Need One
Admin
Nope.

The air line was partly plugged in the manifold and barely getting enough air to make any bubbles at all.
Thought the stone was plugged, changed it nothing. Still not many bubbles. Then went to the air pump and and took that buckets hose off and barely had any air coming from it's outlet. I turned off all the rest of the outlets and it still would barely trickle air out.

I have sat a bucket down on the air line cutting off air totally and the plant would be wilted in 2 days with dead roots.
At first I thought it was not enough light or a fungus, did water changes, flushes etc took about a week until I figured it out as no progress day by day.
I was gonna say that also, Ive had the lines get hung under the buckets but normally you can see the roots start going bad to see you have an issue, besides the lack of bubbles in the water lol.

Greenthumbskunk

PICK YOUR OWN
I was gonna say that also, Ive had the lines get hung under the buckets but normally you can see the roots start going bad to see you have an issue, besides the lack of bubbles in the water lol.

Ya I've done that a time of 2. Lol I had just enough bubbles to keep it alive but not enough to make it grow.
I have a 4x8 veg tent with 18-5gal buckets in it on a rdwc system. It has no airstones but instead I use a dump method of getting it water. In turn the action of dumping water into the buckets creates enough surface disturbance to mix oxygen in the water for the roots.

Greenthumbskunk

PICK YOUR OWN
In my old rdwc set up I had 3 rows of containers which were 20 gal totes. They had a 3" PVC pipe connecting down the rows which at the end of each row all connected into the same 3" line that fed into the 27 gal tote. That's where the General Hydroponics external pump was located and the chiller, PH dosier, float valve etc.

Sometimes I'm away for work and can't check on it all the time. When I walked into the room it was a mess. Plants on 2 rows were pretty much a goner and the third row was getting that way. This was week 4 of flower.
What happened is that the roots of one of the plants at the end of the row and stopped up that 3" line and all the water was pulled by the pump from the other 2 rows and dumped into that third row.

Now this is a lot of water, drained my 60 gal top off tank and 14 of those 20 gal totes plus the 27 gal Rez tank.

It just overflowed that one row and sucked dry the others.

Expensive mess, never thought a 3" line would get stopped up with roots. I was happy my pump didn't burn up or the chiller. I highly recommend their pumps.