A New Threat to Cannabis Production: Lettuce Chlorosis Virus Disease

Vee

Ancient Member
[IMG]

In a survey conducted in Cannabis sativa L. (cannabis) authorized farms in Israel, plants showed disease symptoms characteristic of nutrition deprivation.
Interveinal chlorosis, brittleness, and occasional necrosis were observed in older leaves. Next generation sequencing analysis of RNA extracted from symptomatic leaves revealed the presence of lettuce chlorosis virus (LCV), a crinivirus that belongs to the Closteroviridae family.
The complete viral genome sequence was obtained using RT-PCR and Rapid Amplification of cDNA Ends (RACE) PCR followed by Sanger sequencing. The two LCV RNA genome segments shared 85–99% nucleotide sequence identity with LCV isolates from GenBank database.
[IMG]

The whitefly Bemisia tabaci Middle Eastern Asia Minor1 (MEAM1) biotype transmitted the disease from symptomatic cannabis plants to un-infected ‘healthy’ Cannabis, Lettuce, and Periwinkles.
[IMG]

Shoots from symptomatic cannabis plants, used for plant propagation, constituted a primary inoculum of the disease. To the best of our knowledge, this is the first report of cannabis plant disease caused by LCV

https://www.mdpi.com/1999-4915/11/9/802/htm

Full pdf in support: https://www.mdpi.com/1999-4915/11/9/802/pdf

Shits happening Now: Stay Sharp

Last edited:

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Silverleaf whitefly.jpg
Silverleaf whitefly Species:B. tabaci a likely carrier

The silverleaf whitefly (Bemisia tabaci, also informally referred to as the sweet potato whitefly)
is one of several species of whitefly that are currently important agricultural pests

Neem Oil works wonders on these suckers!

Thanks for sharing man. One more thing to worry about. Hahaha. Kidding love the info, tho i’d go with a neem based pesticide rather than straight neem oil.

Reactions: Vee

Vee

Ancient Member
Thanks for sharing man. One more thing to worry about. Hahaha. Kidding love the info, tho i’d go with a neem based pesticide rather than straight neem oil.
Why I'm advocating Neem is that..
it will offer a all over skin type protection at the same time blocking up the mouth parts
of any critter trying to nibble a bit ..lol

yellow cards hung above smeared with veg oil does work for both whitefly and gnats too

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Why I'm advocating Neem is that..
it will offer a all over skin type protection at the same time blocking up the mouth parts
of any critter trying to nibble a bit ..lol

yellow cards hung above smeared with veg oil does work for both whitefly and gnats too
Yeah but neem based pesticides such as NeemAzal T/S is actually a water based extraction of neem kernels, mixed with organic veg oil. So it kills on contact too. The problem with neem oil is that most contains aflatoxins and i’d never ingest it. So i wouldn’t spray it on something i smoke.

Vee

Ancient Member
in 20 years of using neem on my plants I think I only sprayed my buds once ...UGH!

however I did years back spray my buds with honey

Never the Fuck Again ..lol