A GOLDIELOCKS OF A MOISTURE ZONE

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
How many
Well when you come out spouting wrong info about a product you have no idea how it works ,well....you said it not me
It is an automated system - electronic or n not - it CAN FAIL - as stated by others on here that have an open mind. Nothing I have said was wrong unless i specifically thought it was digitally controlled.

The whole write up about the Goldilocks of a moisture zone was a write up by a member of icmag who uses blumats, no conspiracy here
No conflict of interest there - they spent money on a system and wrote good things about it - that is not unbiased - however you choose to look at it. Unless you know these people, or they have known credentials, There are dickweeds on forums that like to give the impression that they know everything - if YOU wrote an artical would that make it official since you use a blumat?

Sorry, that's not how it works.

These people sell blumats. Cause that's the first article posted
The one I posted the other day was done by kis organics who do sell them
This exactly relates to me saying they had a vested interest in the results. NOT UNBIASED

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Here's a study about increasing thc with drought stress
Funny it is carried out by the same university as the first article I posted
Universities do studies to get GOVERNMENT GRANTS. All they need is some thesis to get starrted and a professor that knows someone or can write a grant proposal well. This was probably the other side of the same grant.

A university study is just that. A work in progress. It is not peer reviewed, or weed-tent tested by the masses.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
@Justblazin - here's the difference between us. I won't be pointing to the one study that agrees with me and saying that you are wrong. Both are just STUDIES. done by college students for the most part, under adult supervision.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
As a side note microbial and fungal life mainly goes dormant in dry conditions, rather than die. Otherwise there would be none left on earth by now. So unless you have worms in the soil that require a certain level of moisture, that is not a factor in the blu-question.

quiescent

Super Active Member
If a 'drought' produces terps/resin - which is a natural defense of the plant against harsh conditions - what better way to generate more terps than mild, regularly scheduled, controlled mini-droughts? (i.e. the between waterings days)
Well, the guys in rockwool don't let their medium dry-back anywhere near as much as you're suggesting. They happen to be hitting higher numbers in cannabinoids/lower terps compared to soil. Blumats work similarly to a dialed in rockwool system.

Can you get higher terps in soil/organics? Sure. Cannabinoids? No.

I saw you note the microbes go dormant. Some go dormant and come back. Are they the ones that have the most impact? Some die. Are they the ones that have the most impact? Do microbes stressed to be drought resistant perform as well as those the soil sets up when it's at an ideal moisture content for months?

Can you get higher terp results in a soil that is losing most of it's microscopic life every few days or a medium that doesn't dry out? Something tells me it is probably not going to be the drought stressed plant in an organic system.

Can you add back what you're killing in the ratios that are most effective? No. This balance takes time to establish and there isn't an effective product in existence. At best you've got extracted nutrition with an imbalanced culture.

There are waaaaaaaay too many variables to say "this is the way" and have any semblance of credibility.
You posted this, not me.

I've recently been in contact with someone that's very controversial that I have talked mess to/about his findings over the years because his anecdotes didn't fit my experiences. Well, he was right. I was wrong. I had a very cool conversation with him over the phone with my hat in hand.

Stay curious and be humble. Don't be afraid to admit you're wrong or someone else might be more right.

I wasted my time fucking around with bandaids (teas specifically). I've wasted other people's time. I've been a petulant child towards people who were trying to see me share their successes. I'm going to make a thread on RIU in the coming weeks with more detail on the matter and an apology for being a shit head/misleading people... doesn't matter if your heart is in the right place if you're wrong and hindering others.

Last edited:

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
No great weed has ever come from a rainforest. Or some other place with 365 days of rain per year.
To be fair, blumats don't make the soil like that of a rain forest, either. When they are properly setup the soil is just at the perfect moisture content (not wet and not dry...just lightly damp throughout the whole pot). I have not noticed any major difference in resin production or terps since I stated using them many grow cycles ago, but I will say that my plants have grown larger and have looked healthier throughout the entire grow since I switched over. While automatic watering may not be perfect, it really isn't an issue, because you'd be checking on the plants pretty much daily anyways if you weren't using it. I purposely use a small 5 gallon reservoir so, if any happen to stick open I know the most it will be able to overflow is 5 gallons, and that wouldn't be enough to escape the tent tray. Since I've started using them I've had two pots dry up a good amount from the drippers getting clogged and two different pots get over watered from me messing up the setup on them. So, if you want statistics, I've been using them since May 15th, 2020 and have had 4 issues over 424 days of use. I don't think that is really anything to complain about.

Justblazin

This exactly relates to me saying they had a vested interest in the results. NOT UNBIASED
Well your first sentence in this thread was wrong"Just remember that it was written by the dude selling it" was written by member of ic magazine
You obviously didn't get I was being sarcastic when I said ya cause they sell blumats
And you obviously didn't read the article cause it has no mention of blumats and no one in the article sells blumats so explain how it is NOT UNBIASED its a university study

As I said kis organics sells them and they did the second article I put up

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
And you obviously didn't read the article cause it has no mention of blumats and no one in the article sells blumats so explain how it is NOT UNBIASED its a university study
YOU said it's from the same university. Correct?

One is about constant watering, one is about drought. They are TWO SIDES of the same argument and probably written up in the same grant proposal.

Don't fucking tell me what I did and didn't read.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
THIS is your original post. The sales pitch is right in the part you quoted. If you can't see that then you need to wake up.
1626194603450.png

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Well your first sentence in this thread was wrong"Just remember that it was written by the dude selling it" was written by member of ic magazine
You obviously didn't get I was being sarcastic when I said ya cause they sell blumats

As I said kis organics sells them and they did the second article I put up
YOU said it's from the same university. Correct?

One is about constant watering, one is about drought. They are TWO SIDES of the same argument and probably written up in the same grant proposal.

Don't fucking tell me what I did and didn't read.
hug it out bitches.jpg

Justblazin

Just remember that it was written by the dude selling it. Not saying it's bs, just that it is one of any ways. I have happy healthy plants with zero deficiencies hand watering. I use plastic nursery pots, and constant moisture is not good if you guess wrong on how often to juice them.

Every strain, and sometimes pheno's within one strain have different requirements. Every plant is different with the exception of clones, which may not behave like the mom, but will behave like each other. A lot of the people looking for a set it and forget it method are doing it out of necessity.

IMHO if you are growing one strain - from clone - for profit and bulk - then this would be a must have. If you have the time to lift each pot and water as needed you can maintain a better moisture level (whichever one you choose based on pot size and weight) consistently over a mixed tent and get as good or better of an outcome.
@H.A.F. man I hand watered for over 10 years it worked great, nobody can deny that, I'm just saying for me and probably most if not all people who used them felt the same. I do wish I could edit it and put sips in there to cause they do the same thing kind of with the content moisture
Look not trying to be a dick but let's go over how this happened.
You came into the thread I started about a product that you have never used and don't even know how it works and proceeded to tell me and everyone else how wrong my post was first it was the guy from ic mag is apparently a blumat dealer because he liked the product and wrote a nice write up of his thoughts on the product and what it does. I'm guessing now because I like the product and posted about it I'm on the payroll too(I wish I could use the extra money)

Then it's "I use plastic nursery pots, and constant moisture is not good if you guess wrong on how often to juice them." So do I and contant moisture is key the plants love it, you can literally set it at the exact moisture level you want. I can see your point that when your hand watering it would be impossible to keep it at a beneficial constant moisture level .

"Every strain, and sometimes pheno's within one strain have different requirements. Every plant is different with the exception of clones, which may not behave like the mom, but will behave like each other. A lot of the people looking for a set it and forget it method are doing it out of necessity."

"IMHO if you are growing one strain - from clone - for profit and bulk - then this would be a must have. If you have the time to lift each pot and water as needed you can maintain a better moisture level (whichever one you choose based on pot size and weight) consistently over a mixed tent and get as good or better of an outcome."

Both The statements above are all reason blumats work amazing because it caters to each plant individually

Then you continued saying how all the articles i posted the first one with no mention of blumats or any connection to that company plus the member on ic mag sell blumats, gets tiring when you so obviously don't have a clue what your talking about.
Yes 1 article was written by Kis organics and it says right in the article that they sell them so I'm not sure what your problem is, it's no big secret.
You and quiescent brought up a good point about the drought bring more terps and cannabinoids, so I did some reading and posted an article that supports that. But apparently research done by university's isn't good to you Becuase according to you they contradict themselves.
But even though you got upset because I said you didn't read the articles, you eather didn't or you don't understand what your reading. I'm real dumb when it comes to English(probably shouldn't even of graduated from high school)and I got what it said

The first article gives five levels of moisture and says plants grow healthiest when in the Sweet spot aka level 3...zero mention of any growing instruments at all for the record

Third article I posted discussing drought and raised level of terps and cannabinoids, wich you say contradicts the first one but if you had actually read and understood the article it's says to only drought your plant once at a specific time

"Researchers at the University of Guelph (U of G) found that a single controlled application of drought stress increased the concentration of tetrahydrocannabinol acid (THCA) and cannabidiolic acid (CBDA) by 12% and 13%, respectively, compared to a non-stressed control. Further,"

So to say that a one time drought to increase terps and cannabinoids is a contradiction of the first article is a stretch at best

Look all I'm saying is my experience is the same as what was posted by the ic mag member and the first article, as far as the second article by kissing organics I'm not going to say I get 20-30% better yield as I've never really checked, I do notice them bigger and healthier but not sure about %

Look I don't care if someone uses blumats, use sips they do the same shit pretty much
You should try a sip and see what it's like, hell if you wanted I could send you one blumat to try(got like 40) I don't use them all usually but you would have to send it back when your done your experiment, I know you don't want to but just throwing it out there
I bet you do a sip or a blumat just 1 and you would be impressed by the outcome

Sorry man I can be a dick sometimes I apologize, just kind of urked me that you just dismiss everything I posted without any real knowledge of the subject. Yes I get it your hand watering works nobody is saying it doesn't, worked for centuries and always will
I can admit I didn't know about the drought stress, learn something new everyday (hopefully) thanks for pointing it out

Look sorry if I offended you

Last edited: