$40 Par Meter

m4s73r

The Laziest
I am a cheap ass. I make no bones about it. I have been looking for a meter to be able to adjust my lights. However I didnt want to spend 550 on a apogee. Well when browsing ye ole amazon I came across this for $40. Par Meter Now i was not expecting it to be Apogee level accurate. So got it in, put it under my lights, set the light to 18" and compared it to my par charts from ChilLed and this thing is only off by 10-30 ppfd. Im not saying id use this to test led lights but if you are a homegrower needing something to get you close, I like this more than the phone apps.
Thought I would share if anyone is finding themselves in the same cheap boat im in.

I am a cheap ass. I make no bones about it. I have been looking for a meter to be able to adjust my lights. However I didnt want to spend 550 on a apogee. Well when browsing ye ole amazon I came across this for $40. Par Meter Now i was not expecting it to be Apogee level accurate. So got it in, put it under my lights, set the light to 18" and compared it to my par charts from ChilLed and this thing is only off by 10-30 ppfd. Im not saying id use this to test led lights but if you are a homegrower needing something to get you close, I like this more than the phone apps.
Thought I would share if anyone is finding themselves in the same cheap boat im in.
I'm with you m4s73r and I highly recommend the UT383-BT Mini Light Meter - Uni T website page It took a couple of weeks for me to get mine but the thing works great and if you ever want to go down the phone app route you can sync it and make it a straight up par meter as well.

Last edited:

m4s73r

The Laziest
I'm with you m4s73r and I highly recommend the UT383-BT Mini Light Meter - https://www.amazon.com/UNI-T-Illuminance-Photography-Photometer-Measurement/dp/B098SXQB2T/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=UT383-BT+Mini+Light+Meter&qid=1643307391&sr=8-3
It took a couple of weeks for me to get mine but the thing works great and if you ever want to go down the phone app route you can sync it and make it a straight up par meter as well.
I remember when Shane dropped that video. I wasent in the market at the time, but when I went back to get one amazon didnt have any. The link you posted is to the version with out Bluetooth.

I remember when Shane dropped that video. I wasent in the market at the time, but when I went back to get one amazon didnt have any. The link you posted is to the version with out Bluetooth.
Good eye, didn't even notice... Changed the link to Uni t product page and if you want the BT version maybe hit them up via their "sales contact us" link on the upper right hand side of the page. (y)

This is the one I use and it works well. At $225 Canadian it was much cheaper than most. Been happy with it.
Salute DougDawon, another really good option almost in that price range worth taking a look at would be
If I wasn't such a cheap ass I would probably just buy one of them.

D

Deleted member 60

Was gonna buy the Uni-t until the wife reminded me how badly I suck at Math conversions/etc. She would know. She was my Algebra tutor in 9th grade. Still flunked the class. Heehee. Couldn't justify spending big bucks...so I guess I'm gonna be the guinea pig here on this unbranded cheapie that reads in incredibly small shoe sizes...

And I found one that actually ships from the US.

th.jpeg

Was gonna buy the Uni-t until the wife reminded me how badly I suck at Math conversions/etc. She would know. She was my Algebra tutor in 9th grade. Still flunked the class. Heehee. Couldn't justify spending big bucks...so I guess I'm gonna be the guinea pig here on this unbranded cheapie that reads in incredibly small shoe sizes...

And I found one that actually ships from the US.

View attachment 133131
Probably uses the same sensor as the $300 meters and I am sure will work totally fine dialing in all the sweet spots( hanging heights & intensity )on your new light's & tents. Once you get everything dialed I bet you will be pleasantly surprised with how far they have come(LEDs) compared to even the best of the old tech. 👍

D

Deleted member 60

The reviews...if they weren't canned/employees/etc. (LOL) were pretty good. 2X the $$$ as the Uni-t...so we will see. I'll definitely be interested to see how much light these combined lights will generate in this space and how it's distributed.

LOL about "the best of the old tech". Wasn't much tech then...it was all about who had the balls to go big, spin the dial hard, and bang out the big yiles. :ROFLMAO: Just a different take on the same game in both instances...though there have definitely been more strides in technology in the past decade than in the older days. Back then it was all about discovery. "You can grow dope with streetlights?" and then finding someone with a car to go out and knock over a streetlight.

@ some point LED's will face the same fate and everyone will get to buy new shit all over again.🎯