315w cmh

Opie1

Master Grower
If your pretty good at wiring it up(hardwiring) I have a bunch of the Philip's Advance IntelliVolt 215w/315w ballast. Input voltage is 200v-277v so no regular 110/115v outlet will work but if you have 220v no problem. Also I dont know if these will strike the bulb on a normal 8' or 15' lamp cord as it says maximum strike distance is 3', I guess that's why the SunSystems LEC fixtures have these ballast mounted internally. FWIW I did get a Philip's 400 electronic ballast that also said maximum strike distance was 3' to strike on a 15' lampcord, so may work remotely. Your welcome to one for shipping cost if you wanna try it.
@Boybelue
Where can I find more info on this strike distance? I’m having trouble with a new 315w Sunburst firing up, but lights up fine when I took it home and tried it in the house.

Boybelue

Super Active Member
I was wrong about the Philip's advance its 6' or 2 meters. It's in the small print on the label on the ballast itself. I can get a pic if you need to see the label or if it's the same ballast I have.

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
I have been using my 315 CMH as a veg light in a 3 x 5ish room. It is a rockstar. I will probably switch it out with my 240 watt board to shave off some electrical.

The 315 fits a place in my bloom room PERFECTLY. Now I have a few non stretchy strains that can fit under it thanks to Eso and HydroRed.

A 315 CMH is perfect in a 3 x 3..and for the money its pretty hard to beat.

Highland Rogue

Really Active Member
For me cause it’s very cold in the winter If I had to pick one it would prob be cmh,
Agreed.

I've used several different wattage HPS and led lites over the years and went mostly with 315 cmh a couple years back. I tend not to monocrop and have uneven canopies , even when I LST or tie 'em down. Some plants just want to stretch more etc.

The upside of using 3, 315 cmh lights versus a 1000 hps is more points of light, versus a single point of light. Also fewer hot spots, more even temperatures on the canopy. I was able to buy the adapters and retrofit some old 1000 watt hoods for use with the 315 cmh. Downside has been the 315's don't seem to have the light penetration the 1000 watts and bulb and light cost will be higher, at least initially.

Been playing with a couple adjustable watt Gavitas a friend loaned me. I like them, but made the mistake of putting them a little too close to the canopy. I can get away with being closer with a 315, not so much with the Gavitas.

sfrigon1

Seed Aficionado
Agreed.

I've used several different wattage HPS and led lites over the years and went mostly with 315 cmh a couple years back. I tend not to monocrop and have uneven canopies , even when I LST or tie 'em down. Some plants just want to stretch more etc.

The upside of using 3, 315 cmh lights versus a 1000 hps is more points of light, versus a single point of light. Also fewer hot spots, more even temperatures on the canopy. I was able to buy the adapters and retrofit some old 1000 watt hoods for use with the 315 cmh. Downside has been the 315's don't seem to have the light penetration the 1000 watts and bulb and light cost will be higher, at least initially.

Been playing with a couple adjustable watt Gavitas a friend loaned me. I like them, but made the mistake of putting them a little too close to the canopy. I can get away with being closer with a 315, not so much with the Gavitas.
Agree 100. Imo gavitas are very similar just stronger

Myvoy

I switched from "oven" gavita DE to endomaxx cmh in 2015 and have been very happy. I just find it easy to use and my plants seems to like it. I'm sure the LED tech has come a long ways since but just haven't had time to really look into it. I did try some Advanced Platinum LED back then, which were ok but decided to stay with current setup. I actually still use them LED as supplemental lighting, usually on the ends and corners...x19.jpg
Center one is 150CMH Endomaxx w/ couple nanos.

Myvoy

For the 315 wear uv specs. They are wickd hard on the eyes. I asked for a nice set of ski goggles for my birthday. I think that will be better than shades.
This winter i will be sporting a flower room tan with ski goggle marks
One of the most neglected items in most grow rooms. So many affordable options out there that it should be in all tent pouches..

Heisen

Dont Need One
Admin
People go crazy over having the brightest lights but can't grasp how to dial in the environment, and take care of the plants to actually benefit.
Like having a gun that hit dead nuts at 100 yards but not the skills to shoot it. I've ran so many different lights and that shit all grows weed. I think people do better under different lights especially led cause Temps are manageable , led tends to spread the light out more uniform. All them lights will grow that shit.

m4s73r

The Laziest
I agree. All these lights will grow weed. CMH for me was like Bluray. I went from DVD (HPS) to 4k(LED). Seen fine grows with CMH but nothing that ever made me want to dump HPS for it or pick it over high efficacy LEDS.

Heisen

Dont Need One
Admin
I agree. All these lights will grow weed. CMH for me was like Bluray. I went from DVD (HPS) to 4k(LED). Seen fine grows with CMH but nothing that ever made me want to dump HPS for it or pick it over high efficacy LEDS.
I had 315 , double ended 630s and double ended 1000s and they was OK. Not like OMG this is amazing. Fuk I vegged under hps and still shit looked good. People should stick to one light, one nutrient line and dial that shit in till they get it right.

m4s73r

The Laziest
I had 315 , double ended 630s and double ended 1000s and they was OK. Not like OMG this is amazing. Fuk I vegged under hps and still shit looked good. People should stick to one light, one nutrient line and dial that shit in till they get it right.
LOL yeah I went from t5s, 600 hps, 1000hps, LED. I think the bigger issues is we have too many "commercial grower" helping out little homegrows. Fucking blows me away when I got some asshat telling a newbie in a 4x4 tent he needs co2 and 1000k hps.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
LOL yeah I went from t5s, 600 hps, 1000hps, LED. I think the bigger issues is we have too many "commercial grower" helping out little homegrows. Fucking blows me away when I got some asshat telling a newbie in a 4x4 tent he needs co2 and 1000k hps.
It’s usually not commercial growers giving that advice. It’s usually some idiot who works for a commercial grower, is paid next to nothing to pull dead leaves and check water lines, and thinks they are expert growers because the work under one. I see those idiots on Reddit all the time and they are easy to pick out.

ttystikk

Nerd Gone Vertical
WOW, what a trip down memory lane!

Back in the day, I built out my tone with 1000W SE HPS on magnetic ballasts, because they were cheap and everywhere. They were hot, too.

I didn't have the money to jump to LED so I did the best I could and got "energy saver" Philips 860W CDM lamps. These were a CMH style lamp that would run at 860W on 277V, (14% energy savings lol) but since I ran them on 240V they pulled the usual 1000W. Spectrum was better than HPS by far. These lamps had to be oriented vertically so I got bare sockets and hung them up. Great stuff!

Because CMH/CDM lamps can't use high frequency ballasts, I stuck with my old magnetic ballasts and the efficiency reduction sucked. I had tried digital ballasts but every time I did, the cable company got mad because of interference!

Pic of vertical rack with 860W CDM lights on mag ballasts;
20160331_131908.jpg

ttystikk

Nerd Gone Vertical
I also got 315W CMH lamps and Philips ballasts. I got a dozen from this weird dude who ended up going out of business soon after I got my kits but I somehow ended up with a bunch of 4100K 315CMH lamps with screw in Mogul bases so they'd fit my bare sockets. I had to wire the ballasts myself. The advantage to these lamps IS NOT THE LAMP; it's the Low Frequency Square Wave ballast; that's where the 30% improvement in efficiency really came from.

I still have some half a dozen ballasts and lamps brand new in the box and I'd love to sell them. The ballasts will work with any 315W and because they're LFSW they'll be the brightest and most efficient option.

Anyway, I ran these lamps in my veg area because they just weren't bright enough for the vertical silos I was using at the time.

Then I used the I made to buy a fuck ton of LED parts and built a shit load of water cooled LED lights I'm still using. I'll post those in the LED thread.

It was around this time I hooked up with Steve and Amit and formed HLG and started swapping over to LED.

Then I got the knock... And the fun stopped for a few years.