315w cmh

Boybelue

Super Active Member
Thanks BB. Saw them for sale so haven't picked em up. Do you think they'll get hot in the tent with the ballast attached? And $70 for 3 bulbs on eBay is nice. I want to stay 3100k so if 315s will work then I might take a chance. They also look really heavy.
I took mine apart and wired the sun system pig tail on so I can use other reflectors and use the ballast remotely. It's pretty easy to take them apart and wire them up the way I did mine. You can also buy the little female receptacle inputs for your 110 or 220 power that way you can use the same cords that come with horticulture type ballasts. But one thing you wanna make sure of before you buy them is if they're multi tap. Multi taps can be wired for 120, 208, 220, 277, and 480v. But if it's a single tap then 277 is all that'll work and most folks just have 110/120v or 220/240v so make sure of that it's very important. Idk how much they selling for but if you look around you should be able to score these really cheap(scrap price) because most big factories are taking these down and replacing with LEDs for a huge power savings for them as most factories have hundreds of these lighting those huge industrial buildings.

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
I took mine apart and wired the sun system pig tail on so I can use other reflectors and use the ballast remotely. It's pretty easy to take them apart and wire them up the way I did mine. You can also buy the little female receptacle inputs for your 110 or 220 power that way you can use the same cords that come with horticulture type ballasts. But one thing you wanna make sure of before you buy them is if they're multi tap. Multi taps can be wired for 120, 208, 220, 277, and 480v. But if it's a single tap then 277 is all that'll work and most folks just have 110/120v or 220/240v so make sure of that it's very important. Idk how much they selling for but if you look around you should be able to score these really cheap(scrap price) because most big factories are taking these down and replacing with LEDs for a huge power savings for them as most factories have hundreds of these lighting those huge industrial buildings.
The guy wants 80 for both. Was mainly seeing if this would be a good alternative for a true vert hood.

Boybelue

Super Active Member
The guy wants 80 for both. Was mainly seeing if this would be a good alternative for a true vert hood.
Idk if I'd use those because they're more of a focal point reflector for use way up high hence the term "high bay" lights. Have you considered a vertical parabolic style reflector? they're pretty cheap.
That is a little high for those old high bay lights. I cant remember what I pd for mine from the scrap yard but it was real cheap. My cousin brought 4 to me from where he works, he said they were piling them up beside the dumpster, putting in new LEDs. If shipping wasnt an arm an a leg I'd ship you a couple but shipping cost more than they're worth.

Last edited:

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
Idk if I'd use those because they're more of a focal point reflector for use way up high hence the term "high bay" lights. Have you considered a vertical parabolic style reflector? they're pretty cheap.
Thanks for the suggestions. That umbrella hood is about as much as a vert hood, and looks like it takes a lotta space. It's an option though because I can also look for a deal on these.

Boybelue

Super Active Member
Thanks for the suggestions. That umbrella hood is about as much as a vert hood, and looks like it takes a lotta space. It's an option though because I can also look for a deal on these.
If you can find some low bay lights those reflectors would probably be more what your looking for. I have some wierd ones I bought yrs ago but you cant seperate the reflector from the ballast part, so they was awkward to hang and the reflector was just flat white. But they were less focal.

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
If you can find some low bay lights those reflectors would probably be more what your looking for. I have some wierd ones I bought yrs ago but you cant seperate the reflector from the ballast part, so they was awkward to hang and the reflector was just flat white. But they were less focal.
low bay. I'll look into that too, thanks BB. Sometimes I run into some lights that make me go :unsure:

Boybelue

Super Active Member
A lot of people do run the 315w bulbs on those 400w mags and I haven't heard anything going wrong. I fired one up for a little while just out of curiosity and it seemed ok. I remember something about "Dude grows" running they're 315s on those mag ballast. So it has been done successfully.

Uncle Romulus

madman, scholar
I use my 315 in a veg room. The ballast is part of the fixture and the temp went from 23C to 28C when i changed to the 315 from a 240 watt quantum board.
The temp is good for veg but they would get really warm in a 2 x 4 expecially through flower
Just gotta bang more air babeh

What do you guys think of these for a "vert hood" they seem oldskool but might work?

View attachment 23393

View attachment 23394

View attachment 23395
TrEASUrEZzz!!! I knew you’d find some greasy ol street lights and such haha! I wish there was a used market here

Bodyne

PICK YOUR OWN
Think Im lookin for one of these if anyone sees or hears of any good deals goin into holidays. How much is reasonable and how much are the bulbs? And in a 4 x 4 tent, would one be like a 600 or close? Ive went thru the thread some, just needin some quick answers is all. lol

Uncle Romulus

madman, scholar
120 w/o bulbs, bulbs round 50, looks like, best I can find quick
Ya not quite a 600 equivalent but almost. Ideal footprint is 3.5 x 3.5 imo. I’d toss a 15 watt Led bulb in each corner to back it up in a 4x4. Or one could buy a driver and some veros or cxb s or something non ghetto. I’ve always felt cmh could use a little extra bass anyways (like extra 2700ks or even 660nm.)
But one could get away with it alone in a 4x4 for sure

Bodyne

PICK YOUR OWN
Ya not quite a 600 equivalent but almost. Ideal footprint is 3.5 x 3.5 imo. I’d toss a 15 watt Led bulb in each corner to back it up in a 4x4. Or one could buy a driver and some veros or cxb s or something non ghetto. I’ve always felt cmh could use a little extra bass anyways (like extra 2700ks or even 660nm.)
But one could get away with it alone in a 4x4 for sure
so ideally a 3 x 3, though, looks like? Thank ya sir

Boybelue

Super Active Member
so ideally a 3 x 3, though, looks like? Thank ya sir
If your pretty good at wiring it up(hardwiring) I have a bunch of the Philip's Advance IntelliVolt 215w/315w ballast. Input voltage is 200v-277v so no regular 110/115v outlet will work but if you have 220v no problem. Also I dont know if these will strike the bulb on a normal 8' or 15' lamp cord as it says maximum strike distance is 3', I guess that's why the SunSystems LEC fixtures have these ballast mounted internally. FWIW I did get a Philip's 400 electronic ballast that also said maximum strike distance was 3' to strike on a 15' lampcord, so may work remotely. Your welcome to one for shipping cost if you wanna try it.

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
If your pretty good at wiring it up(hardwiring) I have a bunch of the Philip's Advance IntelliVolt 215w/315w ballast. Input voltage is 200v-277v so no regular 110/115v outlet will work but if you have 220v no problem. Also I dont know if these will strike the bulb on a normal 8' or 15' lamp cord as it says maximum strike distance is 3', I guess that's why the SunSystems LEC fixtures have these ballast mounted internally. FWIW I did get a Philip's 400 electronic ballast that also said maximum strike distance was 3' to strike on a 15' lampcord, so may work remotely. Your welcome to one for shipping cost if you wanna try it.
Good on you BB for that 👍

Bodyne

PICK YOUR OWN
thanks man, but Im still workin it all in my head. Im in a old dairy farm trailer, so I need the 110 stuff. Thank you again for the offer, greatly appreciated.