315w cmh

Uncle Romulus

madman, scholar
I’ve tried hps, mh, cmh, cobs, t’5 s, led bulbs etc.
Folks argue all the time. Everything has its place. Cmh is best veg light period, and decent for flowering. Cobs are great full spec and efficient af. A pleasure to run (and pay the power bill.) but they are still pretty pricey still for your average head stash grower.
Power and heat aside, hps is the best mid flower light imo and it will always be my fave. I ran 600 w hps and a 315 together and I got a hard boner every time I went in there. Too hot for summer tho. Led works also but running hps alone isn’t ideal and it sucks for veg. But again. Week 5-7 heavy on the hps light combined with a little defoliation.. mmmmmm. But I don’t blame anyone for not using hps. She’s hot and uses them watts and there are better stand alone fixtures these days. Just my ramblings but I experiment with different light at different times and combinations and all that madness quite a bit so I might be on to somethin

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
I also use every kind of light. I do know the mars lights suck golf balls through garden hoses for ability.

COBS/QB strips/Boards/ CMH are all capable.

I am using every one of them. I think people need to stick to a decent lighting idea, and just grow to your ability. When you rock that add some lighting latest tech or whatever and grow to that ability.

I grow for me. It is a lot different. I consume a monster amount of edible cannabis. I love it., A lot.

IF i were to choose 1 single light source i would honestly go with cobs.

But I will let you know as i grow. Subject to change as we do this.

Uncle Romulus

madman, scholar
I also use every kind of light. I do know the mars lights suck golf balls through garden hoses for ability.

COBS/QB strips/Boards/ CMH are all capable.

I am using every one of them. I think people need to stick to a decent lighting idea, and just grow to your ability. When you rock that add some lighting latest tech or whatever and grow to that ability.

I grow for me. It is a lot different. I consume a monster amount of edible cannabis. I love it., A lot.

IF i were to choose 1 single light source i would honestly go with cobs.

But I will let you know as i grow. Subject to change as we do this.
For me cause it’s very cold in the winter If I had to pick one it would prob be cmh, but gol dang cobs are great also. Wouldn’t be efficient for me in the winter tho cause I’d have to use a heater. Imagine that tho.. grow lights that run too cool haha. But ya.. my led bulb homemade panel is even better than Mars led rigs haha

Uncle Romulus

madman, scholar
Mine did exactly that. Ran too cool for the winter. I did have to run the heater for them, otherwise it'd stay 60 ish, and maybe creep up to 65 lights on if I was lucky.
Plants hated it, threw all kinds of defs at me. Heater solved the deficiencies for me.
Set it at 74* and the plants got happy real fast.
Would've set it higher, but it was already adding $40 A month at 74. Lol. Used the kill o watt to see what it was costing me. Lol
You just showed why there is no “best kind of light” imo. I can run a 1 k hps for round 50 bucks a month.. haha it depends on your climate and such. I imagine if I was growing in the desert down south I’d want them cobs big time. Way up north we love our HIDs

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
I have the 315 running in my currently veg room. One other advantage to this light is the fixture does not heat up like my 240 watt strip light. That plate gets HOT.

The 315 is just the right warmth to put my seeds and sprouting peat plugs on top of. It is not hot enough to melt anything. It is just nice and 78 degrees. Best place in the house really.

:)

I am glad i didn't sell it for 250. It is back to full value in my garden getting a workout.

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
Not a Mars fan at all, however some of their new products certainly look viable and would certainly outdo older Mars models. Bet there will be decent grows showing up with these.
The mars newer products are copies of other concepts. Cob lights and strip or board lights (samsung/osram). I personally would not buy their products. There are better products for the same price out there.

And you can build a cob, strip or board fixture pretty easily from a kit and get more bang for your buck.

I am in Ontario and true northern lighting makes a 238 watt light with 3 strips in 4k and 3k if you can get them for 300 CDN plus tax and shipping.

I got 240 watts of hortibloom cobs delivered to the door (80CRI 3K) for 266 Canadian from China in about a week. You can build your own citi cob light in 240 k for somewhere in the middle but pick your spectrum and CRI.

The mars tents are not too shabby.

TerpyTyrone

LED Recruiter
I’ve tried hps, mh, cmh, cobs, t’5 s, led bulbs etc.
Folks argue all the time. Everything has its place. Cmh is best veg light period, and decent for flowering. Cobs are great full spec and efficient af. A pleasure to run (and pay the power bill.) but they are still pretty pricey still for your average head stash grower.
Power and heat aside, hps is the best mid flower light imo and it will always be my fave. I ran 600 w hps and a 315 together and I got a hard boner every time I went in there. Too hot for summer tho. Led works also but running hps alone isn’t ideal and it sucks for veg. But again. Week 5-7 heavy on the hps light combined with a little defoliation.. mmmmmm. But I don’t blame anyone for not using hps. She’s hot and uses them watts and there are better stand alone fixtures these days. Just my ramblings but I experiment with different light at different times and combinations and all that madness quite a bit so I might be on to somethin
Lets see some of those creations!! I have pics of my cobjob on here somewhere...

thenotsoesoteric

Shinobi of seeds
What qb kit did ya get in 2700k?
I got the kit off amazon, can't remember who was selling but it's the 260w kit that hlg offers but instead of one long heatsink the kit had to smaller heatsinks so you can separate the lights. I did get the 2700k one and it seems to do the job when I use it. But I have only used it a few times here and there when I had to pull down the 315w for different reasons. So I haven't fully flowered anything with them but I think they'll do well.

spyralout

🌱🌿🌲🔥💨
I ran across a (supposedly new) 315 CMH ballast only ($60) I believe it's this
glb-315-a-120-277_pdf.png
- is it worth it to get this and find a reflector?
- can this run double ended?
- can a 600w hps reflector be used, or converted (is it worth it)? There are tons of used hps on craigs/offerup for cheap.
Thanks (y)

Hogbackmagic

Super Active Member
I ran across a (supposedly new) 315 CMH ballast only ($60) I believe it's this
View attachment 21972
- is it worth it to get this and find a reflector?
- can this run double ended?
- can a 600w hps reflector be used, or converted (is it worth it)? There are tons of used hps on craigs/offerup for cheap.
Thanks (y)
hey that will only run cmh 315watt bulbs don't buy this and put a 600 watt in there will not be good:sick: