1st Grow Here - Last of 2020 - Mixed Bag - 1st Chuck?

Dis39

Really Active Member
So kind of a mixed bag for me right now, a series of unplanned health issues with my wife rightfully demanded my attention, so some things got away from me, I tried to play catch up, and suffice it to say my efforts were in vain. I am currently running the following, in a 3x3 closet space under a 4 puck setup, attic venting, window A/C keeping the room high 70s low 80s. Ive grown several plants, both indoors and out, but this past year I have been focusing on trying to dial in the indoor set up, to start chucking in a meaningful way. I have a handful of genetics I want to self, and maybe some day cross, but I also dont want to risk a bag of 12 until I know I can do something useful with them other then flower the fems.

All that to say I want to finish this mixed bag, do a run of autos (Mandalorian Genetics Anvil, Fastbuds CBD Crack, Seedsman Purple & Pink Kush CBD), and try to self the Anvil, then its on to the 3rd grow which should line up with spring, which will be some combination of Copa, Briscoe's, CLG, and Hazeman, indoor and outdoor, selfing what I can.

In an attempt to reduce my seed count, I have pawned off a bunch of beans I know Ill never get to, and wet a bag of 10 bag seed Ive collected over the years, with the intention to find a male (my first) to experiment with before risking known genetics. Of the 10 that I wet, 7 germed, of those I kept the strongest 2 (after letting them grow for several weeks, all reaching between 11 and 16 inches tall all having been up potted from 2" pots, to 3.5" pots, to 1gal pots), and just last night I found nuts on what has been the strongest plant, near from the start. It was 3rd to germ, but 2nd tallest at first up potting, and best structure at second up potting.

I have called this line Mystery 01-07, M?02 when talking to friends, so I have dubbed this plant "Mr. Iyotu", in my mind he is a very honorable Japanese businessman, who trims bonsai and blazes canna.

M?01 so far appear to be female, a story for another day, shes taller, slightly less bushy structure but seems solid.

In addition to M?01 and Mr. Iyotu, I have 2 cuttings of Barney's Farm Peyote Critical (clones from some outdoor I this past spring/summer) in 3gals, about 18 inches tall from soil surface.

I also have a Dr. Seedsman CBD 30:1 in a 1gal that will soon be up potted to a 3gal (for flip).

I started 2 beans late, originally thinking to give away a Peyote Critical clone and flower one inside, but that all kind of fell by the wayside. Little low left is Seedsman White Widow FAST, little low right is a Peyote Critical from seed, that is showing triploid.

So finally the questions...

Should I keep Mr. Iyotu? Does he have anything going on worth keeping? Stem rub gave me a cheesy pungent funk (He is currently separate from the girls in the closet, and can be hardened off and put outside if that seems viable)

Should I veg him more before "flowering"?

Should I bother dusting anything else I have going on / preserving this unknown pollen?

Ill upload more pics later, I just hit everything with an IPM spray (Neem, AgSil, Aloe), and lights out in a hour. This is Mr. Iyotu for now. What stands out to me is structure, branching, and overall shape, but Ive never selected a male, so not sure if what I see is anything worth keeping, much less unique. Defoliated the bottom 6 fans (difference between blurple images and regular lighting).

IMG_20201023_113714.jpg

IMG_20201023_113700.jpg

IMG_20201023_113648.jpg

IMG_20201023_113635.jpg

IMG_20201023_113606.jpg

IMG_20201023_113553.jpg

IMG_20201023_113543.jpg

Dis39

Really Active Member
Front left M?01 Unknown Sex Type
Back left Barneys Farm Peyote Critical Clone Fem Photo
Front center Seedsman Dr. Seedsman CBD 30:1 Fem Photo
Back center Fastbuds CBD Crack 1:1 Fem Auto
Front right Mr.Iyotu a day before his nuts dropped
Back right Barneys Farm Peyote Critical clone
Little low left Seedsman WW FAST Fem Photo
Little low right Barneys Farm Peyote Critical Fem Photo (seed, triploid)

IMG_20201022_093229.jpg

Dis39

Really Active Member
IMG_20201027_215026.jpg

IMG_20201027_215059.jpg

Up potted the front 4 and flipped to 12/12. Looks like a little tip burn, soil might be a little hot. I see some yellow mottling on Mystery 01 (mid right) on some leaf edges. Only plant showing this symptom thus far. Peyote Critical clones in the back have had some mottling, but it was from early on when they were establishing. Not sure what the Seedsman White Widow FAST will do being flipped at that size (front right), hoping to find out. Been running predominantly autos indoors the past year, not sure how crowded this closet will get, I have the materials to build a cabinet on hand as soon as I have time.

Doesn't help that I succumb to the urge to wet more seeds. Really want to get to the CLG and Briscoe's I recently picked up, but have a bunch of old stuff from last year I still havent got to, that I am a little more willing to make mistakes with, never enough time... Never enough space. Wondering if I'll luck out on anything worth keeping out of this pack.

IMG_20201027_094424.jpg

Mr.Iyotu was up potted and is moving outside permanently tomorrow. He's chugging along, not sure what to make of him.

The Fastbuds CBD Crack that was in the closet got pulled into my garden seed start area, where Mr Iyotu has been staging / hardening off.

IMG_20201027_190255.jpg

Dis39

Really Active Member
Mr. Iyotu looks to be feeling fine. We have overnight lows of 58 expected the next few days, I had thought to bring him in, but there arent a lot of dark places I can put him that are warm and away from the ladies...

IMG_20201028_133541.jpg

Regardless of how he feels about the cold tonight, looks like he's digging these au natural rays. Noticed some yellow mottling at the serrated leaf edge of one of the larger fans, could be soil related as he was just transplanted, or sun related as he just went outside. Similar to what M?01 is showing, leads me to believe its soil, not environmental. Throwing odor just moving him around for pics.

IMG_20201028_134613.jpg

IMG_20201028_134823.jpg

Last edited:

Dis39

Really Active Member
Trying to figure out what that mottling might be. Wondering if its indicative of pH being to low, locking out K. Saw some pics of "K def" that looked similar, also read some things that made it seem like it might be Boron or Zinc... Feed water has been scarce (just a little sealife hydro w/ biocharo once a week for the past 2 weeks) but has gone in on the acidic end of the range. Ill hit it with plain for a few days and see what he does, but Im open to suggestions from those wiser than I.

So I wrote all this then I went to go take a pic, and it actually looks like its subsiding. You can still see it slightly; Perhaps it was a little transplant shock. Ill keep an eye on it.

IMG_20201029_115313~2.jpg

Dis39

Really Active Member
IMG_20201029_162639.jpg

IMG_20201029_162809.jpg
I know... Its a mess. Canna isnt normally grown here, I told you I've been dealing with some things! The Fastbuds Crack CBD, Ive never grown this out before, looks like I could be doing more with it, originally I wasnt going to train it or top it as I was going to grow a closet floor full of single kolas, but meh... These things happen...

IMG_20201029_144951.jpg

Mr. Iyotu makes me smile, no clue if he's going to be anything special, but he's my first kept male and I love his structure and the purple streaking, the swollen node bases look robust.

Dis39

Really Active Member
Indoor plants are showing distress, yellowing leaf edges, outdoor plant in same soil showing this same symptom, but much less. I had thought the soil likely to be hot, as I prepped it 6 months ago, and essentially added some things again at the 3 month mark (specifically neem and karanja meal). Smaller plants in the front arent showing the same distress, but may not be as deeply rooted into the new soil. Peyote Criticals in the back are in the same soil they have been in for weeks. It doesnt yet look severe and doesnt seem to be worsening at a rapid rate. Keeping up water only. May try a little rehydrated kelp tea or aloe fillet tomorrow.

IMG_20201101_213843.jpg

The Alien Sour Apples popped through. ASA3 is either late to the party or a no show. Still hopeful.

IMG_20201101_141355.jpg

Dis39

Really Active Member
according to THIS It looks like you might have an excess sulfur issue.
Great image / link, I had consulted something similar days ago and had wondered if it was molybdenum, zinc, or boron related, but the images were not nearly as well drawn and colored. Ill take a better pic when lights go on.

Update on the ASA germ and CBD Crack. They are being put out during the day and brought in at night and put under a lower quality grow light to ensure 18hrs.

IMG_20201103_091024.jpg

The pots in the background are my TLO pots for my OD grows. They get radishes, peas, and beets planted in them in the post season to help with structure. Cover cropped overwinter. 13.7gals.

IMG_20201103_091059.jpg

Dis39

Really Active Member
Update pics. Diagnosis welcome. Soil only (50/50 mix of 6 month aged Coots mix with last cycles soil reamended blindly with the suggested amounted by volume of Down To Earth Bio Live), with the exception of one watering of ocean hydrolysate w/ biochar, and one watering (mere moments ago) of MagSu. All 4 plants in front are in the same soil and were transplanted on the same day. The 2 in front were transplanted from 3.5"s, and the 2 middle were planted from #1 pots.

The closet:
IMG_20201103_223723.jpg

Barneys Farm Peyote Critical (from seed)
Seedsman Dr. Seedsman CBD 30:1 (-Zn, -Su, -Mg, +P?)
IMG_20201103_223633.jpg

Dr. Seedsman CBD 30:1 mature fan close up:
IMG_20201103_223639.jpg

Dr. Seedsman CBD 30:1 new growth:
IMG_20201103_223644.jpg

Last edited:

Dis39

Really Active Member
Seedsman White Widow FAST (3 weeks veg)
Mystery01 (bag seed project)
IMG_20201103_223655.jpg

Mystery01 mature fan close ups:
IMG_20201103_223703.jpg

Mystery01 new growth:
IMG_20201103_223745.jpg

Barneys Farm Peyote Critical clones:
IMG_20201103_223708.jpg

Fully aware I could be training these girls and caring for them far better, but as originally stated, its been a hell of a few months dealing with the wife's med issues, and with me once it goes off the rails I just start looking forward to the next grow. Started putting a new cabinet together out of some scrap I had lying around. Might be moving some things around in the next few days and either trying to pull more outta these girls or get an early start on whats next.

Last edited:

Dis39

Really Active Member
So, after adding the MagSu...and rereading and looking at things realizing I was misreading tox as deficiency... Its late and I have burned several... Well if it gets worse in the same way definitely Su... Science! Also looks like a little N claw, and light burn. Raised the lights.

Dis39

Really Active Member
Flushed each of the front pots with 3L (3gals total), got a total of about 4L of run off. Back pots got 1.5L each. As they dont seem to be showing the same issues I let them soak the excess over about 20 minutes. About .5L each is what was in each tray when I walked away.

Dis39

Really Active Member
Mr. Iyotu busted his first nut. Need to research best way to collect pollen from outdoor grows. Sure I can just snip the nuts as they start to crack or something correct? Read something about 10:1 flour to pollen, what kind of flour? I occassionally bake bread so I have several... Ill do the research, however tips and tricks from experienced hands always sought.

IMG_20201105_094853.jpg

IMG_20201105_094842.jpg

IMG_20201105_094707.jpg

IMG_20201105_094356.jpg

IMG_20201105_094252.jpg

Dis39

Really Active Member
Been working on this a couple hours here and there the past 3 days. So far Ive spent $35 bucks, quart of white paint, and some stainless mesh vent covers. Everything else I have had around, scrap wood included. Going to clear coat the outside, cut 4 intake holes and an exhaust hole. Interior dimensions are 30" x 32" x 69" (made it specifically to fit through doorways in my house, it sits higher because its on casters). Currently dont have a "real" light for it, just an old Viparspectra 600, not sure what I want to upgrade to, QBs, pucks, rails, cobs... Going to string up some stainless monowire for the trellis. I have an AC Infinity 4" Inline thats been sitting new in its box for 3 years...

St1.jpg

St2.jpg

St3.jpg

St4.jpg