18/6 Lighting Final week of Flower

SimpleJak

Tugg Speedman
I am curious if anyone has had any experience with this?

I have recently been seeing some growing popularity with this. Anyone who has tried it, seems to stick with it. I have not yet but intend to when I can.

The Theory is that with-in the final week to 10 days you turn your lighting schedule back to 18/6 which gives more ability for the production of cannabinoids/resin production, and biomass. Another reason is that it isn't enough time for the plant to reveg and that when the plant is forced to reveg, she force finishes her flowers first, sending more focus of energy/nutrition to the flowering nodes (another person stating this is a cure for a flower that keeps producing white hairs and won't finish).

I have recently been seeing some growing popularity with this. Anyone who has tried it, seems to stick with it. I have not yet but intend to when I can.

The Theory is that with-in the final week to 10 days you turn your lighting schedule back to 18/6 which gives more ability for the production of cannabinoids/resin production, and biomass. Another reason is that it isn't enough time for the plant to reveg and that when the plant is forced to reveg, she force finishes her flowers first, sending more focus of energy/nutrition to the flowering nodes (another person stating this is a cure for a flower that keeps producing white hairs and won't finish).
Helluva good question(s) there simple J! 👍
BRO science Spidey sense intensifies... 🕷

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails

I think Rasta Jeff aka Irie Genetics does this and did a podcast explaining the pro's and cons.

Short answer - you are re-vegging them. Give it another week and you'll see brown pistils receding and new single-blade foliage popping out.

Stopping it before that happens is definitely gonna bulk up the flowers. If you are slinging packs to make rent this is a neat trick.
He does it making seeds as well and I can see how the extra grow time might help seeds finish better, quicker, whatever.

The con for me is that regardless of whether you chop it before the wierd growth happens you have already triggered the hormonal changes that are going to make it re-veg. You are not going to have the best final product from a headstash perspective. You are gonna lose terps and start bringing in the hay taste. You get bio-mass - but not better biomass.

The obvious downfall if you are not making money from it is that you are paying for 6 more hours of electricity for everything - to get a midsier product.

SimpleJak

Tugg Speedman
Some very good points. I could see that being potentially more beneficial to the seed side.

I wondered about the terps, Would it produce more with the extra energy, or would the light intensity just degrade/evaporate them.

I appreciate any input. Cuz like @Zaphod420 I was wondering about it being bro science but at the same time, the theory seemed fairly sound.

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
Some very good points. I could see that being potentially more beneficial to the seed side.

I wondered about the terps, Would it produce more with the extra energy, or would the light intensity just degrade/evaporate them.

I appreciate any input. Cuz like @Zaphod420 I was wondering about it being bro science but at the same time, the theory seemed fairly sound.
It depends on what your goals are for the plant.
I want the plant to die!
I mean, I'm trying to get the plant to run out of energy by expelling everything she has left.
Hospice is on their way. lol

Only reasons I see is seed production, which you would keep nutes going.
Or revegging the plant, and you want to jump straight to 24hrs of light.
You might benefit at 14 hrs a little or just turn up your light and raise DLI. You don't want to mess with their flowering.
Add more "lights out" and quicken the harvest.
14 hrs night and drop temps.
It depends on what your plan is for the plant.
F O P ! lol

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Only reasons I see is seed production, which you would keep nutes going.
Or revegging the plant,
If you forgot to clone and knew you were gonna re-veg then this process would be great. You could wait to kill the plant until you started to see the new growth.

For seeds, I don't know.
If you have a mom plant and start fucking with her epigenetically (hormonal changes), how is that gonna transfer to the seeds being made?

It's not that hard of a concept, and it's not hard to do. I am positive hippies thought of this back when packs were going for top dollar and weed was scarce. If it was that great of an idea it would be in production by now.

For seeds, I don't know.
If you have a mom plant and start fucking with her epigenetically (hormonal changes), how is that gonna transfer to the seeds being made?
I'm pretty sure the hormone (s) that might be effected by going back to 18/6 deed (s) is already done. I've heard @Heisen mention that is what he does(goes back to 18/6) because it really helps all potential seeds finish nice and strong.

SimpleJak

Tugg Speedman
Thank you guys for all the input. I am less worried about the biomass side of things. I'm not currently producing for weight. Rather see more cannabinioids, terps, resin production, quality flower, etc. That was the main curiousity I had.

The seeds part of it is definitely a side of it I didnt think too much about but makes complete sense. I'll keep that in mind.

D

Deleted member 2835

If you're going for cannibinoids switch back to the veg spectrum for the last 10 days. It's been proven to work.

SimpleJak

Tugg Speedman
Dang! Up to 50%! Even 10-20% would be acceptable. Definitely going to have to try this. Some day I'll have to do a side by side test of clones, test them for their total cannabinoids and see the outcome.

Most of the info i heard was just stating turning the lighting on for more hours. They didn't specify the color it should be. Blue is interesting, It is definitely on the more intense side of things and I know UVs are closer to that side of the spectrum. UVs help with cannabinoid production so perhaps the blue intensity helps production for similar reasons. Interesting though as you would think in nature that side of the spectrum lessens as the grow season progresses.

Thanks man!

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Based on testing... The same thing that has people pushing the 40% club in the THC market? Oh wait - it can "POTENTIALLY" increase terps... It's a theory.

I believe in testing on people. We try to replicate what happens outdoors inside - then do this? sorry - no sale, at least not for flower that I'll be smoking. You want more terps grow better, or get better genetics. If anything reducing the light hours and intensity would be the closest to what happens in real life outside. Someone mentioned dropping to 10/14 instead of 18/6 - I am on that bandwagon.

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
Dang! Up to 50%!
50% ??? omg, lemme tell you, no fucking way.
There's lots of claims on the internet. There's tons of available weed research from colleges and universities available online. Clickbait unsubstantiated "potential" scenarios are usually bullshit.
If it were true, you'd be able to show it as factual..........which you can't. (probably cause it ain't true)
:)