UK Soil mix

Sparrowhawk420

Insanely Active Member
I'm gonna use this thread mainly for my own reference while I research a 'No till/ROLS' water only soil mix using products 'reasonably' available to us UK folk(we can't get a lot of the fancy amendment you guys over the pond can get, although some are becoming easier to source).

Obviously I'd like to hear peoples opinions of the mix and any constructive criticism is more than welcome, as are any links to any websites I don't already know about.

Last edited:

Sparrowhawk420

Insanely Active Member
Current 'WIP' soil mix: Base

1/3 Irish sphagnum peat moss

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Quarrystore-Clover-Conditioner-Excellent-Requirements/dp/B079BXHJJ2/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=irish+peat+moss&qid=1561399106&s=gateway&sr=8-1

1/3 Farmyard Compost/EWC

1/3 Aeration

Clay Pebbles
Perlite

Sparrowhawk420

Insanely Active Member
Mineral Mix per cubic foot:

1 cup Dolomite lime

1/2 cup Oyster shell grit
(local only, from chicken feed suppliers)

1 cup volcanic rock dust

1 cup Rock Potash

1/2 cup Rock Phosphate

1 cup gypsum

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Good ewc, peat, guano and manure is enough imo. Not that adding other stuff will not make it better but you don’t have to to get great cannabis.

I use some of those fancy amendments as fpes. Its better and more efficient imho, especially if you are getting those amendments shipped.

But what a soil should absolutely have is ewc and manure without a doubt. Without going overboard with manure of course. Also a pinch of guano is good for P and all these are very rich with micros and microbial life. So why bother and spend money on anything else.

.2 cents, shared. Haha.

Sparrowhawk420

Insanely Active Member
Fertiliser mix:

1/2 cup Neem seed meal

3/4 cup Seaweed/kelp meal

1/4 cup Insect Frass

1/4 cup Aflalfa pellets
(Local feed store only)

1/2 cup bone meal

1/4 cup hoof and horn meal

Vee

Ancient Member
I'm gonna use this thread mainly for my own reference while I research a 'No till/ROLS' water only soil mix using products 'reasonably' available to us UK folk(we can't get a lot of the fancy amendment you guys over the pond can get, although some are becoming easier to source).

Obviously I'd like to hear peoples opinions of the mix and any constructive criticism is more than welcome, as are any links to any websites I don't already know about.
Having lived in both countries I'm not aware of any organic differences of one state over another ??

of any I'd trust the British over the 'mercans any day at least their idea of organics

tho having learnt the hard way to reduce peat moss and other water holders

due to the damp climate the Brits have and the nute holding abilties of their moss ...lol

good luck

The-Fallen

@Sparrowhawk420

I know this is an old thread but I wondered how you got on with this mix?

I'm a UK grower just getting into ROLS and need a bit of help.

I've got spagnum peat moss, clay pebbles and EWC, the farmyard compost you list, how much of that do you use? Or do you use that to top the EWC up to 1/3 of the mix?

Thanks