First outdoor grow

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
This is my outside compost area for this season. The bare area to the left is where it was before I turned it. It's in part shade but the cardboard and a garden hose keep the worms fat and happy. In the lower-right I have a pumpkin hill and I am trying using cardboard for mulch. I got a fat capacity shredder just for that so I could quit burning it all. I got a little electric wood chipper as well. Just for limbs about an inch or less but it chews them rich up and zero maintenance. It's all about the mulch ;)
IMG_0256.JPG
It's all kitchen scraps with enough grass and leaf mulch from the mower to keep it fluffy. I don't get a lot of red wigglers here but they're in there. I brought some of these earthworms inside to the worm-bin and I think they became compost. They do some killer work out here though.
IMG_0259.JPG

PuffTheMagic

Super Active Member
It's all kitchen scraps with enough grass and leaf mulch from the mower to keep it fluffy.
I'm probably gonna pick up a bagger attachment for my mower so that I can save my clippings for mulch/compost. I've only been on this property for a year so I have a lot to get setup still.

I don't get a lot of red wigglers here but they're in there.
IDK shit about types of worms. I have heard there is some new invasive species from China that we need to worry about apparently.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I'm probably gonna pick up a bagger attachment for my mower so that I can save my clippings for mulch/compost. I've only been on this property for a year so I have a lot to get setup still.
I quit watering or fertilizing or doing anything to my lawn. I still have some weed killer I am hanging on to for poison ivy as a last resort. I bought a few types of clover seed and broadcast them over the entire yard and have several patches that have taken hold, as well as some natural/local plain white clover. My yard is 'well groomed' but I have random patches I am mowing around that I am just letting go to seed before mowing. The only "weed" I have been pulling are thorny ones or grass with burrs. I've been letting the dandelion type flowers go as long as they aren't those spiny/thorny ones.

I definitely look at it like mulch collecting instead of mowing. I am 'harvesting' parts of my yard for worm food and the rest for general mulch where I have bare spots.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
IDK shit about types of worms.
The red wigglers are small composting worms. They live in the top 6" or less of soil and eat the hell out of food waste. The earthworms are great for fishing and love the compost piles and eat there, but they don't do most of the work.

If you put them in an indoor worm bin or your pots and they survive, they are good composting worms. If they don't they are good compost 😁 🤷‍♂️

PuffTheMagic

Super Active Member
I quit watering or fertilizing or doing anything to my lawn. I still have some weed killer I am hanging on to for poison ivy as a last resort. I bought a few types of clover seed and broadcast them over the entire yard and have several patches that have taken hold, as well as some natural/local plain white clover.
I was thinking about doing a clover backyard but I really dont want bees everywhere. I have plenty of ornamental flowers that will attract pollinators.

Badddoin

Really Active Member
My worm house started out as a pile of leaves. I’d been raking them up and adding some grass clippings every so often. I fell down every uTube rabbit hole when I first decided to give this hobby a go. Sure enough, the uTube stoners convinced me that I had the makings of a compost pile. So I started adding kitchen scraps and mixing it up. It was under a pine tree so I spent a fortune in time picking out pine needles.
I moved the pile up to near where it is now, and I put it on a piece of soggy cardboard. I was trying to attract some free worms - my favorite species. I think our local indigenous worms are wigglers. I’d see a couple worms here and there, but I’d also see where an armadillo had dug in from the side and help himself to supper. Also, there wasn’t anything protecting them from moles.
So that’s why the house got built. When I loaded the house with the pile I saw about a dozen. I’m sure there were more. I bought 500 European Night Crawlers from Uncle Jim, and they seem to be happy in there. I think I’ll buy 2000 red wigglers next.